The Alpha version is available today. I started this port four years ago, it's been a VERY long time coming.
- 1 When will it be ready to run real shows?
- 2 What Alpha Means
- 3 By using the Alpha, you're agreeing to this:
- 4 Do NOT upgrade macOS
- 5 Back up your data!
- 6 Switching back and forth
- 7 How to rebuild the 64bit Database
- 8 New Forum Just for You
- 9 How to track my progress
- 10 I'm a bit desperate for financial support
- 11 How to install
When will it be ready to run real shows?
Within a few months from Aug 24th 2021
What Alpha Means
- There is no installer for the Windows version
- There will be bugs. You will crash. You may lose data. Some stuff just doesn't work.
- Some features not critical to running shows are not implemented:
- no ripping
- no burning
- no producer
- no microphone input
- no crash reporter
- when editing meta in browser window, tab key doesn't work
- music stores take a while to load
- no video export
- no transparent video
- no "notification manager"
- no python (no iTunes Crossfade)
By using the Alpha, you're agreeing to this:
Get this Alpha version ONLY if you are technically savvy, and you understand about TESTING software: you will run in to problems, and I will need you to write detailed notes about the problems. The most critical information you can give me is a recipe for how to reproduce the problem. If you can't reproduce the problem, then it's almost not worth it telling me about it. tell me anyway, but realize I probably can't do anything about it.
Do NOT upgrade macOS
If you're on macOS Mojave, DO NOT UPGRADE your macOS, cuz that means you can not go back to the 32bit version. This phase is only about TESTING, not for real world use unless you're wicked intrepid. You can test the 64bit version of kJams on Mojave just fine.
Back up your data!
Find your "kJams" folder (in your user's Music folder) and make a backup. Also, make a backup of your music files, if they reside on an external drive. You should already understand how to restore your files too. I'm not going to be able to help you recover if you shoot yourself in the foot! For instructions on backing up / restoring, see this article.
Keep the classic version of kJams, do NOT install over it or replace it. You will need it if / when things go wrong in the new version.
Switching back and forth
I'm going to call the 64bit version "64" and the 32bit version "32"
- the first time you run 64, it will read the database from 32 and convert it
- if you had music stores turned on, they will be converted too, but they will be REMOVED from 32. That means that if you go BACK to 32, you will need to reload the music stores (they'll be empty). That FURTHER means that if you had added "streaming only" songs to playlists, they will "go missing" in 32, and re-loading the store won't re-link the songs. In other words: If a singer has a song in any of their lists (tonight, faves, history), and that song came from a streaming music store (ie: it must stream when played), then that song will "go missing" if you first run 64, then revert to 32. It will still be there in the 64bit version, but in the 32bit, it will turn into all dashes, because you will be forced to reload the music store from scratch. Okay?
- In the 64, DO NOT EDIT META DATA (including Reinterpret). There are bugs in Reinterpet, but editing will also cause your 64 database to get out of sync with the 32 database. It will work fine, but will only update the 64 database, and the 32 one will not be able to find the song any more.
- If you edit meta data in 32, or add new songs, or make a new playlist, or really just change the database, you will need to rebuild your 64 DB. To do that, see the next section
How to rebuild the 64bit Database
- go into your kJams folder
- trash both the "Songs.ksql" file (NOT "Songs.ktd"), and the "Songs.ksql [Backups]" folder.
- Run 64 and the DB will rebuild based on the 32.
New Forum Just for You
Click here to join the new forum discussions. This is the FIRST place you should go when you encounter a problem. Scan over the recent articles to see if it's already been reported.
Report any problem that is not listed. One topic = one issue (do not post multiple issues in one topic).
How to track my progress
I'm a bit desperate for financial support
I never did do a kickstarter to get this port done. I don't know if you can imagine what 4 years of part time work (aside from my full-time job) is like, with no income to offset my time. Yes the 32bit version of kJams sells a few every month but in no way does it pay for my time spent developing the 64bit version. I do hate to do this, but i need to ask if you're willing to join Patreon, or increase your Patreon support. Thanks.
How to install
See this separate article for that.