All news and info and updates about 64bit (Catalina compatibility) will be posted on this page. Everything I know is on this page (so writing to me won't yield any further info ;-)
- 1 Latest News
- 2 Is kJams currently compatible with Catalina?
- 3 Why not?
- 4 When will kJams be able to run under Catalina?
- 5 How can I run kJams today if I have Catalina?
- 6 Can I downgrade back to macOS 10.14 Mojave?
- 7 How do I download Mojave?
- 8 I'm sorry I dropped the ball
- 9 Can I track your progress?
- 10 I have another question
The developer is back to work and we now have proof-of-concept search sortof working. By that i mean, with a database of 200,000 songs, you can do pretty much instant searching. Note this is a long way from "functions" as in "functions well enough to actually get work done", but it's a major milestone.
I've also been working on the Media player, and i've fixed a few bugs with it too. Progress is being made!
The developer that was working on the SQL database and Search seems to have just stopped working. This happened about a month ago. Seems I may need to find another developer. That means we've already lost a month of development time, AND it may take some significant time to find someone else :(
There are two very hard parts to this port:
- The SQL database: Fast Search!
- The hardware accelerated media player, which means the ability to stack these layers:
Relatively good news on both fronts: I have a developer helping me with the SQL database and he is making steady progress.
For media playing: I already have 2, 3, 6, 7, and 8 working. And I have, during the weekend of August 8, gotten the Video playback (4) actually working. It must be debugged, but getting it working at all was the hardest part. We do not NEED the rest (for now) to have a functional kJams that can run a show!
Therefore, once SEARCH actually functions, I can start letting people test the Catalina compatible version. No word yet on how long the search functionality will take, the developer hasn't actually started that part.
Is kJams currently compatible with Catalina?
No. You can not run kJams under macOS Catalina.
kJams is currently a 32bit application, and Catalina does not support 32bit apps.
When will kJams be able to run under Catalina?
The hope is "hopefully Q1 2021". We are *close* !!!
Always beware "the planning fallacy".
I do have a developer working on the SQL database, so things ARE moving forward. It's just very slow going, it's a complete rewrite of the entire front end (GUI) and the entire database (from hand-coded to SQL). Both tasks are monumental.
How can I run kJams today if I have Catalina?
You can use Virtual Machine software such as Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion. Be aware they unfortunately do NOT support multiple monitors. Then install macOS Mojave, see below for how to download it. There is a forum discussion here.
Can I downgrade back to macOS 10.14 Mojave?
If you have a mac purchased PRIOR TO October 2019, then YES, you can downgrade to, or otherwise use, Mojave. Try one of the following:
- use your time machine backup from before the upgrade
- reinstall from scratch using a USB stick. You can make a bootable Mojave Installer USB stick using DiskMaker. BACK UP your kJams installation before you downgrade, Start with this article (the "old computer" is Catalina, the "new computer" is Mojave). During the "Cloning" phase, use the "Backup and Restore" sections.
- install Mojave on an external drive and boot from that
How do I download Mojave?
I'm sorry I dropped the ball
I tried really hard to inform all users of kJams not to upgrade to Catalina:
- directly within kJams: a notification would pop up
- on the kJams web site: prominently at the top of every page
- in the newsletter, i sent it out over a year before Catalina was released, and a few times since
- on my Facebook page
- via my Twitter account
Unfortunately if your auto updater was broken, because you were on a very old version of kJams, you never got the in-app notification. If you never visited the web site, and you weren't subscribed to the newsletter, and you never went to the facebook page, or saw the tweets, then sadly i was not able to reach you in time. I am truly sorry about that.