All news and info and updates about 64bit (Catalina compatibility) will be posted on this page. Everything I know is on this page (so writing to me won't yield any further info ;-)
- 1 Is kJams currently compatible with Catalina?
- 2 Why not?
- 3 When will kJams be able to run under Catalina?
- 4 How can I run kJams today if I have Catalina?
- 5 Can I downgrade back to macOS 10.14 Mojave?
- 6 How do I download Mojave?
- 7 I'm sorry I dropped the ball
- 8 Can I track your progress?
- 9 I have another question
Is kJams currently compatible with Catalina?
No. You can not run kJams under macOS Catalina.
kJams is currently a 32bit application, and Catalina does not support 32bit apps.
When will kJams be able to run under Catalina?
The hope is "hopefully Q4 2020", but beware "the planning fallacy".
I do have a developer working on the SQL database, so things ARE moving forward. It's just very slow going, it's a complete rewrite of the entire front end (GUI) and the entire database (from hand-coded to SQL). Both tasks are monumental.
How can I run kJams today if I have Catalina?
You can use Virtual Machine software such as Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion. Be aware they unfortunately do NOT support multiple monitors. Then install macOS Mojave, see below for how to download it. There is a forum discussion here.
Can I downgrade back to macOS 10.14 Mojave?
If you have a mac purchased PRIOR TO October 2019, then YES, you can downgrade to, or otherwise use, Mojave. Try one of the following:
- use your time machine backup from before the upgrade
- reinstall from scratch using a USB stick. You can make a bootable Mojave Installer USB stick using DiskMaker. BACK UP your kJams installation before you downgrade, Start with this article (the "old computer" is Catalina, the "new computer" is Mojave). During the "Cloning" phase, use the "Backup and Restore" sections.
- install Mojave on an external drive and boot from that
How do I download Mojave?
I'm sorry I dropped the ball
I tried really hard to inform all users of kJams not to upgrade to Catalina:
- directly within kJams: a notification would pop up
- on the kJams web site: prominently at the top of every page
- in the newsletter, i sent it out over a year before Catalina was released, and a few times since
- on my Facebook page
- via my Twitter account
Unfortunately if your auto updater was broken, because you were on a very old version of kJams, you never got the in-app notification. If you never visited the web site, and you weren't subscribed to the newsletter, and you never went to the facebook page, or saw the tweets, then sadly i was not able to reach you in time. I am truly sorry about that.