If the automagical updater that is built into kJams fails for some reason (or you're crashing during the update or on startup), it's probably due to a newly introduced bug, which is probably now FIXED in the current version. So just go download the latest version (see above right or see below on this page) and install it manually (replacing the one that was there before). Hopefully from then on the auto-updater will work again.
Updates to kJams are always free, and they happen frequently. Perhaps one day if I ever get to version 2.0, that will be a paid upgrade.
If there's a brand new release, and you update to it, and it crashes on startup, believe me I already know about it and am working to fix it as you read this. (However, please tell me anyway, the more people that report it, the faster I work). Meanwhile, you can easily Downgrade to the previous version. When you run the downgraded version, do NOT update until there's an even newer version available, which should happen very shortly.
WARNINGS for Windows users
- if you get the "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect" message, just install the MSVC Runtimes
- See here for more Windows Specific Instructions!
You don't have to buy it to try it out, it's ShareWare! Just go download it (see below). Note that unlike typical ShareWare, I provide FULL tech support and all updates are free. The ShareWare is limited by functionality, not by time, so there is no "expiration". See below for the Limitations.
For instructions on how to purchase, see the section on Purchasing.
Keep in mind this is DEVELOPMENT software, NOT "Release", not even "Beta", but one stage BEFORE that. (click here for an explanation) That means there ARE bugs (ie: you will likely experience "Asserts" and even crashes), and there ARE performance problems (noteably searching can be s-l-o-w), and not all features are even present! You have been warned.
When you purchase kJams you will be confronted with this message:
There are NO REFUNDS due a bug, unless I don't fix that bug within 1 business week. By buying kJams, you agree not to be bummed out by bugs, crashes, loss of data, or any other problem that may arise due to using pre-release software. You are paying for early access to possibly buggy software that is still in development. Also: telephone tech support is available ONLY on tues and thurs evening after 7pm pacific time, and email tech support is available usually within 1 business hour.
The Unregistered version is limited in these ways:
- Can't export to QuickTime more than 10 songs
- Can't add more than 3 songs to a any playlist (except for your library)
- Can't rip or play anything other than tracks 1, 2 and 3 on any disc
- Same as lite but:
- Can't add more than 3 singers
- Can't add more than 2 singers to the rotation
- Can't add more than 2 songs to a singer's "Tonight" playlist
- KaraokeCloud "Tethering" (offline-streaming) does not work due to having no serial number.
- Can't burn more than 2 songs on a disc. Note that even if you purchase the Burning plugin (by itself), in order to burn a disc with more than 3 songs you also must purchase either Lite or Pro, since the tryout version of the application limits the number of songs you can put in a playlist (see above under "Lite"), and you must create a playlist in order to burn your disc.
- Your songs will have red X's in the lyrics of songs you burn to CD+G
There are no other limitations. If something goes wrong in the tryout version, do NOT assume that making the purchase will "fix" it or otherwise make it work, it is either a bug or a misunderstanding. The code is *exactly* the same for the Tryout and the Licensed version, there is no different download. Just download and run, it's up to you if you want to register it. Also, the Pro version *is* the Lite version, just with several more features. If something is wrong with the Lite version, it will also be wrong with the Pro version.
- To rip and/or burn, you'll need a compatible drive.
- For kJams: Any Mac running OS X
10.3.910.4 or better, or Windows XP or better, and QuickTime 7.1 or better.
- For Burning: To burn more than 3 songs you must already have purchased kJams Lite or Pro. Any computer that runs kJams, and on mac you may need PatchBurn. (You can test burning with a 2 song playlist using unregistered Lite or Pro and unregistered burning plugin, and you SHOULD!)
- For the Producer plugin, same requirements as for Burning
- An internet connection (at least temporarily) to the machine on which you plan to purchase and activate a license.
- 4GB RAM if you have < 15,000 songs, Otherwise 6GB or more
- don't add more than about 115k songs to kJams, it is only a 32bit program and the memory management scheme will make it run very slowly if you add more than that
- 10GB free Hard Drive space, Recommend 250GB
- 2 core (or more) Intel CPU at 2GHz. It will work on a PowerPC computer, for a short while, but Apple is dropping support *very soon*
Licensing and Serial Numbers
Did you read the License Agreement?
- For kJams, one serial number (license) can activate 2 computers at a time, but only for ONE person, eg: NOT you and your wife. Yes, you can have one mac and one windows. For the plugins there is only one activation per license.
- The Lite version is for home use only. If you are doing public shows, you must purchase a Pro license.
- Licenses and Activations *are* transferrable, just contact me ahead of time.
- WARNING: Activations are tied to your computer. Your serial number may stop working if any of the following happens:
- You replace your startup drive
- You replace your networking card (ethernet)
- Your Operating System makes a major change (eg: going from 10.4 to 10.5 can sometimes cause a deactivation)
- You switch to a different computer.
- If your serial number stops working simply contact me and I'll gladly reset your activations. I usually respond within a couple hours. If you KNOW you're going to upgrade your computer, contact me AHEAD of time so you don't have any down time at all. I will reset your activations any time you ask, forever.
- to activate another computer, go help->enter serial number, then paste your SN, do not type it.
- More info in Serial Numbers
Actual Download Links
- kJams Lite
- kJams Pro
- LAME MP3 Encoder
- the Burning plugin is built in, there is no installer! Try it and if you like it, buy it (see Prefs->Burning)
Song files to try:
- Sample Files. (Includes "Twist and Shout" and this one from Tricerasoft)
- Free files from Karaoke Version
The following does not yet work with Windows (except for LAME, Burning, and ffmpeg)
Encoders for ripping
- Mac Burner 1.0f1 To burn a full disc, requires purchase of either Lite or Pro (Burning Tryout allows you to burn 2 songs per disc).
- Windows Burner is built in! There is no Installer! Go to prefs->burning!
- Producer 1.0b1
- Go to the Remote Control page.
Important: Get familiar with the current Known Issues.
- ffmpeg for MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 playback (free) (note: for MPEG2 you still need ANOTHER MPEG2 plugin below)
- Perian for AVI, DivX, FLV, MKV, GVI, VP6, and VFW
- Flip4Mac for KMA and WMA playback
- Unlock all files within a folder (script)
- Crash kJams if kJams is hung but still "responding", this script will force a crash, then you can send the crash report and i'll know what to do!
- NameChanger free tool for batch renaming files in the Finder
- Yet Another System Utility excellent tool for kicking your system permissions back to normal for when you can't move files to the trash)
Just for Fun
Mac and the Mac logo are trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries
Microsoft and Windows and the Windows logo are trademarks of Microsoft, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries