Adding songs from Hard Drive

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
tryingcake

Adding songs from Hard Drive

Post by tryingcake »

OK- I'm pretty OCD with my music on my hard drive. If I have to mentally work past this, I will, but I'll be really uncomfortable doing so. :roll:

When I download music I add it to the folder it belongs in. All my SCs are in a dedicated folder, MMs, SF, etc. Inside each of those folders are then broken down into disk folders. Anything downloaded obviously does not have a disk number, but it does go into a folder under the brand and then in a folder dedicated to the website I downloaded it from. This keeps all my music on my external and not some on the external and some on my internal hard drive.

After I put it where it goes, I then import it into whatever program I am using (Siglos until now). The software would load my new music. Even though I'm loading it form the same folders as before, it ignored anything it had already loaded.

I ask this because I tried to add songs not added the first time I imported and it loaded everything again causing me to have duplicates for most of my library. I had to delete the library and start over. sniff sniff. I didn't realize it would not ignore songs already loaded (my old program did this, so I'm spoiled, I guess).

So, I'm verifying that I have to put all new downloaded songs in a new folder (creating a new one each time I download - what chaos, oh the horror!!) and not where my OCD mind thinks they belong? Or can I do what I want, I just did it wrong? I'm not finding anything on wiki about this. :oops:

dave
Site Admin

Re: Adding songs from Hard Drive

Post by dave »

The reason kJams doesn't avoid duplicates on import is just cuz the searching is slow. See info on Slow Searching.

When i get "Fast Searching" done, it will no longer be prohibitive to look up each song to see if it's already there.

So, currently: no, there's no way to have it do what you want, not easily.

You CAN have kJams organize by artist then album, for you, after you add a new folder of songs, but that would ruin your "by web site" sorting. You'd do this by consolidating.

tryingcake

Post by tryingcake »

OK. I'll just add them as you initially suggest. I will live to tell about it, although I may have to up my therapy. :wink:

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

:shock:

i totally understand about OCD file management. my downloads folder and my desktop are empty. all my songs have perfect metadata. and they're all sorted by artist/album.