Adjustable end of somg

Is kJams missing a feature you need? Post it here! Note: if iTunes has it but kJams doesn't, it's a good bet kJams will have it, but that I just haven't gotten around to it yet. But go ahead and request it anyway!
dj jimbo

Adjustable end of somg

Post by dj jimbo »

Dave,

Could you add the ability to "click complete" on a song? I have songs that have long OUTROs, and if I don't let them play out, KJams doesn't move the song to the singer's history, and I have to go manually delete the song from the tonight list. I'd like to be able to click on the song, while playing to declare "song done" and still have the upcoming singer list show on screen and have the history and tonight lists updated correctly.

Thank you in advance.

Jim

Sedge

Re: Adjustable end of somg

Post by Sedge »

We've already almost got this - with Save Trim End Time - but, you probably have to do it in advance, because you have to pause the song, then select the option from the menus - which isn't horribly practical live. I have no idea what this would do to tonight/history lists.

I don't think you're the first that's called for a better UI on this feature - the other request was for a keyboard shortcut.

I think I kind of like the idea of a clickable button (although it certainly is UI overhead) that will signal to the rotation that the song is complete, and then a quick prompt to save the end time, or not. This sort of kills two birds, and would also work well for aborts - when the singer gets too nervous to complete a song, or when they fall down drunk, or when they're kicked out the door mid-song (yes, all these have happened while I've been live.)

>>Sedge

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

how about this:

a keyboard shortcut on the "save trim end time"

that way, when the long outro starts, while the song is playing, you just hit that shortcut. done. it saves the time for next time, AND marks the song sung for the singer, AND goes to the next song. next time, it's all automatic.

sound good?

Sedge

Post by Sedge »

It's a good start - but it doesn't solve the aborts - I obviously don't want to SAVE the song wherever they left it at. Not sure about Jim, but he may also want to have the option of playing through a long outro - like if he's busy and not quite ready for the next singer, or if he's going to make some announcements over the outro. We generally have the option to trim a song, even if we have to make our own custom keyboard shortcut, and it doesn't properly affect the rotation. What we don't have is a one-time feature that doesn't save.

Definitely get Jim's input on this before I totally hijack his good idea.

>>Sedge

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

i think Jim's problem is already solved, just more manual probably than he wants:

when the long outro starts, hit Command-9 to show the rotation, fade the audio on your mixer, then press the right arrow key and fade the audio up again. if the song is > 60% complete, kjams already marks the previous song as "sung" by the singer. now the next singer is up so hit Command-9 again to hide the "who's up next" screen.

Sedge

Post by Sedge »

Yeah, that's roughly how I handle it now - except I don't think I have to manually get rid of the rotation screen (which in such circumstances, I normally don't use - I just use a splash screen instead, with a Who's SInging Next pasted on to it (with just the next singer, not the whole list)) - The real trick is having a music source available to cut to on the mixer (my iPod does this well) so there's no dead air, even during the reset.

>>Sedge

way2fst4u

Post by way2fst4u »

I know this is an old post, but has this been solved? I had this happen twice last night with people unwilling to finish, and the 12-15 seconds of dead air before my filler music starts is rather annoying...anyone have a solution yet?
Thanks!

Scott

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

yes, just press the right arrow

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Still hoping for "Mark Song as Sung".

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

sorry, but what does "mark as sung" give you that right arrow (followed by "Cue to Start") does not? If you want filler what about the iTunes auto-crossfader?

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

iTunes Cross-fader? What's that? :)
It gets you the song added to their history list, even if there is 3 minutes of self-indulgent musical outro to go! (Without a "Mark Song as Sung", right arrow gets you the next track, but also does not put the song in their history list, as it assumes you bailed on the track.)
There are other occasions where it would be nice to add a song to someone's history list, as well (such as when kJams crashes near the end of the track, and the singer decides not to finish it after relaunch).

[P.S. While we're at it, an opt-right arrow/click on the transport button would be nice, too.]

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

right arrow ... does not put the song in their history list
but.. yes it does. i think that's where the disconnect is. "right arrow" DOES put the song into the singer's history list. (assuming they sang at least half the song)

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

It does not seem to do this for me. Also, it doesn't if you crash at the end of the track.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

it only puts the song into history IF you use "right arrow" after 60% of the song is past. if you "right arrow" before that, then the song stays where it is (that is so you can skip over someone who's out for a minute, their song will still play next time thru)

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

I know, which is why it would be useful to have a "Mark Song as Sung" context-menu item. I could have used it five times this weekend. Instead I had to wait until the singer was up again, turn volume off, play the track, advance it to the last five seconds and let it play out. Left arrow to return to that singer, then cue their next song, and play.