New Macbook Pro - CDG Ripping

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
mikenj

New Macbook Pro - CDG Ripping

Post by mikenj »

Hi Dave:

Great software! Love it, Love it, Love it!!

I am having one issue, however. I have a late 2011 model Macbook Pro. I ripped 4 SCDG's with no issue into my library, however for some reason cannot rip CDG's. I get the error that the drive is not compatible. The CDG's will play in iTunes with no issue, however not within Kjams..

Is it something I am doing wrong?

Thanks!

Mike

dave
Site Admin

Re: New Macbook Pro - CDG Ripping

Post by dave »

SuperCDG discs are in fact DVD data discs, they're just a computer file system, that's why you can "rip" them, they're just like any hard drive (in DVD form). CD+G Discs however, are a very different breed if disc which requires special physical hardware (like BluRay or HD-DVD, a regular CD player or DVD player won't play them). if the hardware is absent, the disc can not be read, like in the above example, no amount of software can make a blue laser out of a red one.

a CD+G disc is in fact a CD disc, so any music ripper can read the audio. but the +G part is buried between the audio samples, in a different "subchannel" section of the disc not normally read by audio CD rippers. if kJams says your drive is not compatible, then it's not, and you need a new drive.

mikenj

Post by mikenj »

Thanks Dave:

I am able to rip my CDG's with my PC, which is currently running and ripping along! How can I then take the library files from the PC and merge (combine/import) them onto the library from my mac?

Sorry for all of the questions!

Thanks!

Mike

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

network your computers and drag the folder full of songs into the "kJams" folder. note do NOT put them in the "kJams Music" folder, don't touch that. If the folder you're dragging is called "kJams Music" then give it a different name, and drop it NEXT to the "kJams Music" folder. then add that folder to the library.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

the latest 64bit update lets you rip and burn