Considering Karaoke Cloud

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
HowardBrazee

Considering Karaoke Cloud

Post by HowardBrazee »

One of the singers in our Senior living bi-monthly Karaoke is considering paying for Karaoke Cloud ($10/month level). I'd still need to create a spread sheet from the music and print it out, as nobody is likely to ever use smart phones to connect.

But she asked me - what are the songs in red?

dave
Site Admin

Re: Considering Karaoke Cloud

Post by dave »

they are marked as NOT having backing vocals. hmm, i don't think that's documented anywhere.

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

Thanks.

I thought *most* Karaoke doesn't have backing vocals. I do like knowing, as sometimes the backing vocals can get to be too irritating.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

apparently there's quite a bit of karaoke that has background vocals

:D

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Without background vocals, many songs fall apart. Try Bohemian Rhapsody without the backing vocals!
Last edited by DeusExMachina on Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

I wanted to sing some of the background vocals to Bohemian Rhapsody!

That said, there are lots of songs where the "background" vocals are the same as the foreground vocals.

I suppose in a generation, we will have the ability to select vocals to hear during a song that we have bought. That will make learning songs easier. But right now, it's hard to know whether the song we want to buy has the amount of vocals we want.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Howard:
Even if you wanted to sing one background vocal in BR, there are 4 of them, many overlapping. Any way you do it, even with two people, ends up missing key parts of the song! This is even more pronounced in other songs.
Sure, they could make a separate track with no background vocals at all, and a few companies occasionally do, but the market for such tracks would be very small, so there is no profit margin in it. In fact, given how the royalty structure works out, they'd probably lose money on the track!
That said, if you were ambitious, you could always try to make your own. I have done a bunch of them. It's a lot of work, but if you really want the track, it can be done.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

there are lots of songs where the "background" vocals are the same as the foreground vocals
if by that you mean there are songs where the "background" vocals have the same melody as lead vocals (ie: they literally sing the melody, not the harmony) then perhaps you're confusedly thinking of tracks that have "training" lead vocals only in one channel? if so, these are called "multiplex" and the lead vocal can be removed by suppressing that channel.

-dave

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

I revisited the Vocal reduction settings. Once before, I tried using them on a handful of songs without noticing any effect. I tried again, with the same result. Is there a way to see which songs have their vocals in channels?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

they will have the label "multiplex" and you'll hear lead vocal in only one channel (if you put on headphones)

MOST SONGS are NOT multiplex, you have to go out of your way to find and purchase them.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Can we clarify what you're actually meaning by background vocals?
Multiplexed vocals are the LEAD vocal, put in the track in such a way that it can be removed with a simple command.
This is not the same thing as a background vocal, which is something like the harmony part sung by the band BEHIND the lead vocalist. Paul, George and Ringo then John is singing lead, or the doo wop parts in the Four Tops.

Some karaoke tracks have a "backing vocal" (not backGROUND) that serves as a guide vocal, that sings the lead part to help you learn the part. This is what is in multiplexed tracks, and what can be turned off and on with software players like kJams.

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

I'd *like* songs that I can have a lead vocal that can be removed. I don't know how to find them. I also don't know how to tell whether I have songs that are multiplexed except by experimenting.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

what you're looking for is "multiplex" songs. when you buy them from a karaoke store (online or on disc) they will SAY they are multiplex. if they don't say it, they're not.