Songs.ktd [Backups] Folder

Feel free to post bug reports here. I need exact, detailed steps showing me how I can re-create the bug on my machine, so give as much info and detail as possible.
FretsNDust

Songs.ktd [Backups] Folder

Post by FretsNDust »

I came a across and issue that resulted in over 120GB of my drive being used by this folder for backups. Admittedly I am going through my library and cleaning up naming issues and duplications, but it seems like every time the app autosaves the library it creates another file in the backup folder. Is there any way to limit the number of backups retained or turn off the backup feature entirely?

Thanks for any assistance!!

FretsNDust

Re: Songs.ktd [Backups] Folder

Post by FretsNDust »

I stepped back one version (1.0.1b84) and the backups no longer are generated.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

there is currently a data-loss bug which is unresolved. i turned on this auto-backup thing to help mitigate the issue when it strikes
you're free to delete all the backups as long as you've verified that your CURRENT library is not missing any stuff (missing songs, entries in your playlists turning to dashes)

it's generally a bad idea to go to a previous version because you're now on a version that is KNOWN to have bugs in it, and i can't do tech support for old versions.

update to latest, and manually delete the backups. i'll try to put in a thing where it saves one backup per day for a week, then one a week for a month, then one a month. to keep the size down

FretsNDust

Post by FretsNDust »

Thank you for the quick reply. Much appreciated!

I will do as you suggest and watch for an update that mitigates the issue. Limiting the number of backups per day/week should be a workable solution.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Wouldn't it make more sense to just set a time interval for when to overwrite backups, and/or ask users on startup if they want to create a new one?
Last edited by DeusExMachina on Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

either one requires new code. and "overwrite backups" still requires some judicious decision about WHAT backups to delete. also, it needs to be automatic. asking a newb user what they thing is correct is probably not the best option.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

I was envisioning backups as off by default, turned on in prefs, with a time interval then set, and the warning dialogue now primed.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

they can't be off by default. when someone comes to me with data loss, their show ruined, irate and frustrated, and i say "well, did you turn on backups?" and they say "no of course not why the fuck isn't that on by default?!?!"... you get the idea. too many options is too confusing for 90% of users. sure, there'll secret prefs for tech savvy folks like you, but for the newbie, simple is better

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Sure but, since that is the current state of affairs as it is right now anyway, adding a backup utility doesn't really add to the confusion.
But still, a rotating backup with time expiration is pretty much how I think most people would expect it to work (as opposed to unlimited backups stretching back to infinity).
The flip side, IMO, is the issue here, where eventually every user's HD will fill up (albeit slowly) with kJams backups, to the point that there will be no more room, and the aforementioned newbie will be even more confused!

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

i'm aware of all of these issues. this is a stop-gap measure

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

To be honest, I was not even aware kJams was making backups.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

it's brand new, to stick my finger in the dike, till i can get a new one

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

I suspect most people would be overjoyed just to find out there was one or two back up versions in the event their library got trashed.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

yes, i know

TezinOz

Post by TezinOz »

Thank you for implementing this "Backups" folder. On two occasions I've experienced the bug you mentioned, and both times I've been able to restore the Songs.ktd and get my Kjams back up and working.
I know you are working on this data loss bug - would I be correct in assuming that when you close Kjams at the end of the show - that the databases are failing to save properly? The only thing I have noticed is that it occurs when I re-open Kjams and have a version update to do at the same time. In my case my whole song library starts re-adding and then pulling all the metadata again - resulting in empty playlists, singers histories etc. Scary stuff !!........so, once again, thank you for providing the backups folder.