Producer features?

Anything about producer. Questions, bug reports, feature requests, whatever you want!
ikkeklok

Producer features?

Post by ikkeklok »

Hello!

I'm seeing that songs from other programs are displaying with X's - I'm assuming that's because I didn't purchase the producer add-on (?) or is there another reason.
Now, does the producer add-on include a vocal removal function, or is this something that is available but sold separately, or what?
Thanks!

dave
Site Admin

:)

Post by dave »

red X's are CDG's that are exported with the tryout version of Producer.

no, kJams does not have pro-level vocal reduction, it's a very hard problem. see here:
http://karaoke.kjams.com/wiki/Vocal_Reduction

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

I have a small mixer i use (Beheringer Mini Mix 800) you can get online for $40. It has a vocal reducer that does a decent job. I create the graphics and sing! It's like the original artist is backing you up. It also had bass/Treble and Echo. Its small and compact. I bought two of them for my Kjams, one to keep at home and one for the road.

ikkeklok

Post by ikkeklok »

I also saw the YoGen Vocal Remover - is it any good? The trial version seemed to work decently on about 1 in 3 songs, which isn't the best rate, but it's only $25... Any other opinions?

dave
Site Admin

?

Post by dave »

i've never seen it. anyone?

philflood

Post by philflood »

I have a Mackie board that has a vocal remover circuit. I don't think it works very well. My son turned me on to an older program that has a Mac OS free release available, called Audion. Within it is a Karaoke feature that does a very good job of reducing and sometimes eliminating the vocals.

DrVideo

Or there is also this way

Post by DrVideo »

I found this link to a tutorial on how to extract the background music from a song with Audacity. (free for Mac, PC or Linux )

http://lifehacker.com/software/digital- ... 296121.php
Jam on it!

philflood

Re: Producer features?

Post by philflood »

This is the basic split the tracks, and then invert the phase of one track approach. This is essentially what Audion does, or what the vocal remover circuits do. Stay tuned for an exciting new approach based on some files my son found while surfing the net!

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

*tuned!*

Paul

Post by Paul »

Sounds very interesting!
Also *tuned*

philflood

Post by philflood »

This might not be as great as I thought it was, but it is still pretty good. What we are trying to accomplish in the end, obviously, is to wind up with a backing file, containing the original music with the vocals removed. Unless you have access to the original recorded tracks, you will never quite achieve exactly that. Of course, there are some karaokes, namely the Motown original artist series, that give you this, but I digress. Right now, I know of five ways to get a good backing file. 1: Play all the parts yourself – clearly this doesn’t work for the non-musicians around. 2: Play the guitar parts yourself – There are some sites that host “guitar backing tracks.” These are files that have the guitar and vocal parts removed that guitar players use for practice. They are like guitar karaoke. Again, this is not suitable for a non-musician. 3. Midi files – similar to the guitar backing tracks, but generally sound a lot worse. Much of the problem with these derives from use of the general midi sound set. You can, however, import them into Garageband using Dent du Midi and then replace the weak general midi instruments with decent software instruments resulting in a much better sounding file. I find that the guitars still usually are bad, and end up playing the guitar part, or changing the lead guitar parts to another instrument that sound better, a synth or a flute, for example. Also, you can easily strip the melody track from the mid. 4. Vocal remover – Most of us have tried this with varying results that usually are not very good. The idea is that the inverted wave of one track will cancel the wave of another track leaving only the backing instruments. The problem is that everything that is centered gets eliminated, and there often is not very much offset of lead instruments, so too much gets stripped. 5. Mogg files – The games Rock Band and Guitar Hero have created a whole new generation of musically inspired kids. Rock Band uses files in a format known as Mogg, which is basically a container of multiple ogg vorbis files. These mogg files can be opened into multiple tracks, and the vocal track can be located and stripped. What results is a clean backing tracks file ready for making into a karaoke. And, the mogg files are very much like the original tracks. I believe in some cases they are the original tracks. Now, so far, it seems that Audacity is the best program for opening these files, but I have not been able to get the Mac released version to open them. Thus far, our process has been to open the file on Audacity on PC, locate and strip the vocal tracks, export as mp3 and then process with Tuneprompter and Producer on the Mac. Once I get this working as an entirely Mac process, I’ll report back. The biggest drawback, is that we are limited to files available in the mogg format, but there are a good number, and there are some newer things that are not available in karaoke.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

send me a few examples of these lovely mogg files, i'll see if I can get kJams to play them, and allow you to select a track to mute.

-dave

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Dave:
Have you gotten any .mogg files, because you REALLY should support them (as in KILLER feature!!!)
If you need any, I can up you some to the ftp server.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

nope, the ball never came back to me :(

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

You have mail!! ;)

(I am nothing if not prompt)