Me and my problems

Anything about producer. Questions, bug reports, feature requests, whatever you want!
JoeStrange

Me and my problems

Post by JoeStrange »

Im just going to start rattling them off as I get kicked in the nuts by this program.

Im in OS 10.7.2 and I can not convert any images to .pict, Not even while holding option and clicking the drop down menu. You also cant save as in preview starting in Lion 10.7, Save as is dead. You have to duplicate the file (File ->Export, Save a version or duplicate) and then save and you will get the drop down with the option to change extensions. If you just click on the extensions menu it only gives you a few choices. If you option click on the extensions menu it gives you a ton of choices but no .pict.

Edit.
It seems as though Apple has completely abandoned the .pict format, I have tried to use jpeg with producer and no luck. How am I suppose to bring images in?

Im following this guide here: http://karaoke.kjams.com/wiki/Producer/Intro

1. Select any "Audio+G" song within kJams, and duplicate it (File->Duplicate). The song MUST be of type Audio+CDG (optionally zipped), it can NOT be a MIDI song or a movie of any kind. The newly duplicated song with have a song name with a star and a number at the end, so the name does not collide with an existing song.

.ktp files are Audio + G after you import your audio and do your lyrics correct?

Its not File>Duplicate, Its Edit>Duplicate or Apple+D

13. hold the option key and press the "Clear" button. Normally when you press Clear (without the option key) kJams automatically preserves the palette so that you do not destroy the colors further down in time. We don't need this, holding the option key prevents kJams from preserving the palette.hold the option key and press the "Clear" button. Normally when you press Clear (without the option key) kJams automatically preserves the palette so that you do not destroy the colors further down in time. We don't need this, holding the option key prevents kJams from preserving the palette.

I can not get clear to work at all, not clear and not option clear. My scratch track lyrics and audio still remain no matter how many times I select them with the red markers and try to clear.

I also have still not gotten a CDG disc that I burn to display properly either, I just get a bunch of colored boxes with no text displaying when I try to play it back in KJams

dave
Site Admin

Re: Me and my problems

Post by dave »

I can not convert any images to .pict
this was a bug, it is now fixed

but kJams no longer requires PICT, you can use any image format supported by QuickTime
How am I suppose to bring images in
I know it's weird, but you do "File->Add To Library…" when you have producer open, then you can select any still image type
.ktp files are Audio + G after you import your audio and do your lyrics correct?
no, not in this context. They are at this point a "Project", that is, they probably have cdg, mp3, ktp, and possibly .xattr, .txt, .aif etc. you should never use a ktp project as your "scratch" file. it MUST be JUST a CDG+MP3 ONLY.
Its not File>Duplicate, Its Edit>Duplicate
fixed
I can not get clear to work
you have to do set the in and out points for Clear to do anything. also, clear doesn't operate on a KTP file, you can only use clear on a CDG file.
also, "Clear" doesn't do anything to the audio. all it does is erase the existing CDG records so you can create ShowScreens.
I also have still not gotten a CDG disc that I burn to display properly
perhaps your drive is not compatible? or perhaps you're using producer wrongly?
turn off "High Quality Render" to preview your CDG before you burn it.

it would help if i knew what you were trying to do, and the steps you took to attempt it.

JoeStrange

Post by JoeStrange »

this was a bug, it is now fixed

but kJams no longer requires PICT, you can use any image format supported by QuickTime
Is there a file size or dimension limit? Because every time I tried to import a file it wouldn't work. Im back on this today and will be trying again.
no, not in this context. They are at this point a "Project", that is, they probably have cdg, mp3, ktp, and possibly .xattr, .txt, .aif etc. you should never use a ktp project as your "scratch" file. it MUST be JUST a CDG+MP3 ONLY.
Still not understanding how to create the scratch project but like I said im back on this today and need to refresh what I learned on thursday. I remember watching the video and being confused because the video made it look easy.
you have to do set the in and out points for Clear to do anything. also, clear doesn't operate on a KTP file, you can only use clear on a CDG file.
also, "Clear" doesn't do anything to the audio. all it does is erase the existing CDG records so you can create ShowScreens.
Its obvious I need to know how to create a CDG, cause I have no idea. I thought CDG only existed on CD. You know, like it was just a conversion that took place when burning the disc. But I did know that rebake was part of it.

perhaps your drive is not compatible? or perhaps you're using producer wrongly?
turn off "High Quality Render" to preview your CDG before you burn it.

it would help if i knew what you were trying to do, and the steps you took to attempt it.
After doing some research Im under the impression that my HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GH61N drive is compatible.

Im a studio engineer and I have just finished editing 16 songs and creating the karaoke versions in TunePrompter. Im now ready to burn these 16 songs onto a disc so it can be used out in the wild. I also need to create an intro and outro in KJams. I had imported pictures into each .KTP session for each song and when I pulled all 16 songs over to KJams those pictures were not the background anymore it had reverted back to a black background. So im also trying to have a different picture background for each song like I had it in TunePrompter.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Is there a file size or dimension limit? Because every time I tried to import a file it wouldn't work
define "wouldn't work" ? is there an error message? what is it? note that the design of Producer is to ensure that whatever you create can stream off of a CD+G disc, that means there *are* certain limitations, mostly related to how long it would take (seconds) to stream it off the CD. If you attempt load a picture that will take so long to load that it will overlap something further down on the timeline, it will tell you that you can't insert the picture there.
Still not understanding how to create the scratch project
In this context, a Project includes a KTP file. So the "Scratch" song is NOT a project, it's just purely a song file pair (audio + G). Note that if you're working with a KTP Project, you do NOT use the Scratch song, and vice versa. A Scratch song is used only for creating ShowScreens.
I need to know how to create a CDG
if you are *creating* a CDG, then you have a Project, most likely a KTP project. If you have purchased the Producer plugin, then you automatically get a CDG file as you manipulate the song in Producer. If you're using the Tryout version of Producer, it will NOT create a CDG file.
I thought CDG only existed on CD
It does exist there but when you rip it to the computer, there is a copy on your hard drive. It is separate from the audio file (that's why we refer to a karaoke song as a "file pair" that includes "Audio + G", that is a separate audio file (usually an MP3) and video file, which is the CDG file). It will also exist when using the paid version of Producer, which creates the CDG file for you, so that it can be burned to disc.
I'm under the impression that my HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GH61N
The only way to know for sure is to do a test rip and a test burn, as i have no data on that. A test burn must include playing the burned disc in some real karaoke hardware, as they have stricter requirements that are not generally present on computer CD players.
creating the karaoke versions in TunePrompter
Then you do not need to be using a Scratch track. Did you ensure there is at least ten seconds of silence or intro before the first lyrics are sung? If you do NOT have that, then there will not be enough time to show the title screen, pause, then show the first lyrics page, before the first lyrics must be swept.
I had imported pictures into each .KTP session
Okay that's not how you do it. TunePrompter is ONLY for syncing lyrics. Not for title pages, break pages or outro pages, not for graphics or pictures. All THAT stuff is done in Producer.
those pictures were not the background
right. Also note: background pictures are not supported (yet) even in Producer. Only pictures between pages of lyrics or small ones ON lyric pages. Only black backgrounds are supported (currently).

JoeStrange

Post by JoeStrange »

Ok so no pictures, got it.

I purchased producer and burner.

I did not leave intro time when editing but your KJams intro still shows up when I play the .ktp in KJams. Each of these songs have their intros before the lyrics start, Some of the song intros are very long actually. The lyrics dont just start right away, So all 16 songs show your default intro when playing them in KJams and thats why im trying to create a new intro. Are you telling me the intro wont be there when I burn the CD+G?

If producer automatically creates a CDG on import of the .KTP file then all of my imported .KTPs are now CD+G on import?

So I can not test my burned CD on KJams I have to take it to a real karaoke machine? Everytime I have burned a CD with burner the disc has completed burning but when I play it back in KJams the graphic is messed up. Could the burn be good and I just need to try and play it in a real karaoke machine?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Are you telling me the intro wont be there when I burn the CD+G?
no, i was just making sure you knew that there needs to be enough time before the first lyrics, in order to show the Intro screen and then the first Lyrics page. If your songs have plenty of time before the first lyrics, you're all set. Just that in SOME songs you start singing right away, and for those you need to add some silence time at the start of the song (i use garage band)
all of my imported .KTPs are now CD+G on import
correctamundo!
So I can not test my burned CD on KJams I have to take it to a real karaoke machine?
yep!
Everytime I have burned a CD with burner the disc has completed burning but when I play it back in KJams the graphic are messed up.
huh, that's strange. Okay, in Producer, un-check the box called "High Quality Render". When that is OFF you should see EXACTLY what will be burned to the disc. If THAT looks wrong, then it needs to be fixed before burning. But it shouldn't be wrong, if it is, email me privately and we'll set up a time for me to look at your screen. If it looks right and you burn and the burn looks wrong when playing it back in kJams, that means your drive is probably NOT compatible. If it looks good in kJams, THEN test it on real karaoke hardware, and if it looks bad there, then your drive is not compatible.
Could the burn be good and I just need to try and play it in a real karaoke machine?
no, if the burn looks bad on the computer it will look bad on the player. however, the burn may look good on the computer but still be bad on the player.