Computer Freezes on Launching kJams

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
Karaoke Coalition

Computer Freezes on Launching kJams

Post by Karaoke Coalition »

Thank you for what seems to be a very promising software solution for our karaoke show.

However, we haven't gotten far with our trial of kJams lite. Every time we put in a CD+G, our Mac launches both i-Tunes and kJams and populates both programs with the songs on the CD. The first thing that's messed up is that we get a blank warning type dialogue box from kJams for each track as it's importing.

Next, the listed track times are something like 38 minutes for each track -- and all tracks have the same track times. (This is likely the time for the entire disk.) And when we double click a song to play it, the song title flashes up for a second and then the whole thing freezes with another blank warning dialogue box.

The answer to this problem MAY BE that we're using inadequate equipment. But we thought we'd ask your opinion in any case.

We're using an iMac PowerPC 750 G3, with 500 megahertz, running OSX 10.3.9 and a gig of memory.

This would seem to meet the stuff listed on your "Requirements" section. But maybe the G3 and 500 megahertz is just too slow. What do you say?

dave
Site Admin

bad first impression

Post by dave »

I just now fixed the "blank dialog" problem, that will go away, so you'll see exactly what the mesage is.

first, sorry for the iTunes confusion. To fix that:
1) open System Preferences
2) open "CDs and DVDs"
3) set "When you insert a Music CD:" to "Ignore"
4) Go to iTunes (not kJams)
5) Go to Preferences->General. Make sure "On CD Insert:" is set to "Show Songs". Also check "Connect to Internet when needed"

next, please do a system profile and let me know what kind of drive you have. 100% of problems with ripping and burning have been traced back to the drive. I highly recommend Plextor drives as they have a record of being perfectly reliable.

Apple->About This Mac->More Info (system profiler launches)
pick "disc burning", now copy all that text to the right, and make a new email and send it to me, use regular email rather than the forums.

dave at kjams dot com

Karaoke Coalition

It was the internal CD drive

Post by Karaoke Coalition »

The internal CD drive was the culprit. It doesn't burn/wouldn't read the CD + G for the program. When the disc was put in a LaCie Burner it read fine and worked well. An IMac 500 mHz is not the answer for us.
Off to buy new equipment.
Thanks
Karaoke Coalition