kJams/Universal Binary/MacWorkbookPro

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
BobFox

kJams/Universal Binary/MacWorkbookPro

Post by BobFox »

My WB has a MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857. Is it known yet if this drive inconjunction with the duo Intel processors will support reading cd+G?

dave
Site Admin

nope

Post by dave »

according to:

http://www.kjams.com/wiki/FAQ#What_driv ... pported.3F

no, Matshita drives are not supported.

BobFox

Using A WorkBookPro

Post by BobFox »

I'm successfully using a new MacWorkBook Pro and kJams Universal Binary. For ripping, I picked up a Plextor PX-708UF drive off eBay and am loading onto a spare Maxtor 250gb FireWire drive. Inspite of minor bugs, the ripping has gone well.

On the other side, the software is working great! I love the features: the play lists, singers' lists, and being able to change pitch and tempo for each song or singer. Calling songs up from a file is so much more efficient than fishing for CDs and Qing them into a player. Not to mention that the FireWire drive is so much easier to carry than a ton of CD+Gs!

Thanx Dave! Life just got better!!

dave
Site Admin

yaay!

Post by dave »

I'm so glad to hear that! Makes all the hard work worthwhile. :D

bok

Re: nope

Post by bok »

dave wrote:according to:

Hi dave,

I noticed a blurb in the FAQ on the Wiki that said that the MacBookPro could Rip. They all seem to have the MATSHITA drives. from what I can see.

My solution is to use my compatible Sony DVD+-RW drive in a PC-based system with Audiograbber to rip the tracks to CDG+MP3 pairs and then burn them to a DVD for import into my MacBookPro and/or MacMini.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

They all seem to have the MATSHITA drives
actually a good number of them (depending on the build run) have "HL-DT-ST DVDRW GWA4080M" drives, which can certainly read. I'd like to confirm that they can also write, tho I suspect they can.

Crimson

Post by Crimson »

bok wrote:
dave wrote:according to:

Hi dave,

I noticed a blurb in the FAQ on the Wiki that said that the MacBookPro could Rip. They all seem to have the MATSHITA drives. from what I can see.

My solution is to use my compatible Sony DVD+-RW drive in a PC-based system with Audiograbber to rip the tracks to CDG+MP3 pairs and then burn them to a DVD for import into my MacBookPro and/or MacMini.
I unfortunately experienced bad video when running this method. Lots of artifacts and other distortion that appeared anywhere between a quarter to a halfway through the song, rendering it almost illegible at times.

dave
Site Admin

different drives

Post by dave »

different drives have different properties. there are some Sony DVD±RW drives that DO work, and some that work only partially (no error correction) and some that don't work at all. So you have to just try and see. Don't give up, you'll find a drive that works!