kJams Web Server

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
dave
Site Admin

kJams Web Server

Post by dave »

This lets the KJ set up kiosks so singers can log in and manage their own que, so the KJ does not have to even deal with singers or song slips at all, check it out:

http://karaoke.kjams.com/wiki/Server

Please provide feedback here.

jfbiii

Post by jfbiii »

O M F G ! :shock: :shock:

YES!!! 8)

Dave, this looks awesome. I guess I've been using kJams to run my show for almost 6 months now and I still have people that are fascinated by it. I will be testing this in the field Thursday night. I expect just from playing with it for the last 30 minutes at my desk here that I'll get very little negative feedback.

I'm also betting that I'll be asking on Friday if there's a way to disable the New Singer button. Because drunk people seem to think that they're extra-clever and why use an existing name when you can make up a funny new one for the KJ to announce -- "Next up, Hous bin Pharteen!" Or put yourself in the rotation three or four times. LOL.

lenskaraoke

Post by lenskaraoke »

It would be good if a singer was able to move the order the tracks are sung on the tonight list
Tell the truth or lose the horse

jfbiii

Post by jfbiii »

That already works for me without issue. I can drag songs to new places on the tonight list and watch them update instantly in kJams. Now, if I change a tonight list while it's open in the browser, it isn't pushed out (which isn't unexpected). It can lead to discrepancies between the two if I then start making adjustments in the browser to the song order. A simple click on library and back to tonight resyncs to whatever kJams is currently showing. At worst it might mean that people have to reorder their list and then check it when they are done by clicking on another list and then back on tonight. Usually the only time I adjust their tonight list is when they ask me to, anyway. Otherwise everything stays in the order in which they turned it in.

I'm guessing that there is a limit to the number of files that can be displayed with any given call. i.e., logged in as a singer with no favorites, I can view their history file and easily add the songs found there to their favorites list, which I can then view without trouble. But my own favorites list will not display, I'm guessing because of the number of songs (398) that I have on the list currently.

So far those are the only two functional things I've noticed.

lenskaraoke

Post by lenskaraoke »

This isn't working for me. When I click on a track in the tonight list it doesn't highlight and won't drag

lenskaraoke

Post by lenskaraoke »

Well I just created a small new singer list and everything works as I would expect. I can reorder the song in the tonight list, add songs to tonight list and see what's in the favorites list. With the singer I tried at first there was 116 songs in the favorites and I can't display that list

I added over 200 tracks to the new "small" favorite list and they were all found, but when I added 265 tracks they did not show up on the web so I deleted 10 tracks at a time till the web matched kjams and I was left with 10 tracks before kjams and the web matched

I don't understand why the singer with 116 tracks don't display the favorites on the web or why I had to delete so many tracks from the new "small" list before that favorites list showed up on the web

aantix

Post by aantix »

Wow Dave, unbelievable feature! You're by far the cutting edge in karaoke software.

lenskaraoke

posts from other thread

Post by lenskaraoke »

[ed. note: edited for brevity...] comments from the thread "Drop Track On Singers Name" under "Feature Requests"
------------------------------
jfbiii wrote:

I use [history list] for myself the way that a patron at a show might when kJams gets a client-facing web interface, which is on the development list I think.

Now that I didn't know, but what a brilliant move from Dave when it's live.

I have a web site and people can download my list from the site if they wish but this is so much better.
lenskaraoke wrote:

Wow, That was fantastic. I cannot believe my luck in choosing to use kjams and a mac for my karaoke presentation, Now I'm biting the bit waiting for this to be rolled out fully.
I added tracks and checked out my tonight list but the favorites and history list didn't load
When I clicked on the library and typed in the search box the options of songs came up and I was able to add the selected song to the favorite list. When I looked back on the kjams program, hey presto! the track was there.
If I typed a song name whilst any of the headings was highlighted I got search results from the main library, but as you say, you are just trying it out.
When I clicked tonight, I got the songs that were in the tonight list on kjams
When I added to the tonight list the track didn't get added
Paul wrote:

Hi Dave

Regarding the webserver, I set it up no problem, just like you said.

Connecting from another macbook on my home network I get the login screen, I can pick a singer from the dropdown, but entering a password (which was set) just brings me back to the login screen again, same happened on my iphone.

With regard to adding a new singer remotely, it asked for a name and password, but this was not added to kjams, and I was not able to exit the new singer box without retyping the url/pressing back.

Looks like a fabulous option, but needs a little work yet sorry. Look forward to testing the next release.

Paul

Sedge

Post by Sedge »

I'm either dumb, or missing something.

2. Hold down the option key and pick "Preferences"
3. Click "Sharing".

Umm. Tried holding down alt/option key. Nothing. Tried holding down apple/command key. Nothing. Ctrl-click on a singer with password doesn't bring up anything interesting.

kJams preferences doesn't seem to have a "Sharing" tab
Nothing from jKams is in the Sharing portion of my System Preferences.

So, what to do?
kJams Pro 1.0d49r47 - updater says no new version available.
Powerbook G4, Tiger current version.

dave
Site Admin

:)

Post by dave »

i promise you, it works.
press the option key
while holding the option key, don't let go, pick "preferences" from the kJams menu. keep holding until the prefs panel comes up.
if it doesn't work then your option key is broken, try another keyboard.

Sedge

Post by Sedge »

Got it. :D

you are a sneaky master (and despite the amount of time I spend on my powerbook, I am still not a master of the ways of Mac.)

Sedge

First Evaluation

Post by Sedge »

This is looking great. Here's my initial notes:

1. Feature Request: get a way for singers to change their passwords from the web app (and a way for the kj to reset them from the main kJams server without having to know their current OLD password)

2. Performance: it seems to load pretty slow, especially at login. Granted, I have a 17,000 song library, but from clicking the login to getting a page takes a while. Once inside, it seems to move pretty good, luckily it doesn't try and display the whole Library playlist. Searches even go fairly quick. Now, granted, I am on a 1.5 GHz G4, 1.25 G ram. So, I know the hardware isn't optimal (but whose is?)

3. I'm still trying to figure out the issues with dragging and inter-operations between the web app and the server. I gave my singer a password, was able to login, and initially was able to select and drag items on the Tonight list. I was trying to see if my changes were appearing on the kJams list, and quickly got to a point where I could no longer select and drag items on the web app tonight list. Right now I'm just making myself aware of the constraints of the problem, and trying to find a way to help a singer if his list gets wonky. I don't think I'll try this web app this weekend, although I may show it off a bit.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

set passwords: of course, this is on the list

performance: the size of your library is irrelevant, because kJams does not load your library *at all*. it makes you do a search. however, it's time to upgrade to an intel machine. you'll be happy.

issues: this is a bug, not a design. it may be fixed in the next release

jfbiii

Post by jfbiii »

Had reasonable results last night with just a couple of people doing basic searches and fleshing out their favorites list and adding a song or two to their tonight lists. I did have one of them show me that he couldn't reorder his tonight list, so I'm not sure why that happened, because I can't recreate it now.

I think it's an awesome start.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

more to come.

i've already got several bug fixes and UI enhancements, new release next week.

my web guru genius programmer dude is out of town for the next month, sadly, but i'll try to muddle thru it if anyone reports a serious bug. when he's back i expect we'll be able to nail any remaining issues rather quickly.