kJams Web Server

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
dave
Site Admin

Re: kJams Web Server

Post by dave »

1. If patrons want to access the Singer log-in by iPhone, they must download (and purchase) wtkJams.
there is a free version, but yes, they must use wtkJams (free or paid)
2. There is no way patrons can log-in using just a browser on their iPhone
correct
without the need to and purchase wtkJams
false. there is a free version of wtkJams.
3. Patrons can log-in without the need for wtkJams if they have a Macintosh laptop (or a desktop strapped to their back) running Safari (with Bonjour), and that Mac can connect to the network on which the Mac running Kjams is connected, (either by connecting directly to the LAN, or by WIFI connected to the LAN in the venue). Yes/No
correct
4. There is no support for Android phone users. Yes/No
there is no native app. but some people have reported success by: a) finding a bonjour stack and using that with the built in web browser, or b) just manually finding typing in the IP address of the kJams server
I would really prefer that users DO NOT have the degree of control or array of options that wtkJams gives them. For various reasons, a simple ability to login, search and add themselves to "Tonight's List" is really all we want to give them.
well, that is all the control you give them with wtkJams. what level of control does it seem they have that you wish they did not?

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your fast and detailed reply.

I did not see, or realise there was a Lite version in the App store (Sorry! I did say I was lost and confused!). I guess I should have scrolled down further! The Lite version looks absolutely PERFECT!! Thank you!!!!

The features we do not want patrons to access, all seem to be included in the paid version, and include Pitch and Tempo control etc.

I will try your suggestions for Android and let you know how it goes. Thank you again!

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

The features we do not want patrons to access ... include Pitch and Tempo control
So, you're saying you do not want a singer to be allowed to change the pitch / tempo of their own song? Sorry, but I fail to understand why you would not want that? Can you explain what your thinking is there?
etc
Please define "etc". Be specific, so I can address the issue, thanks!

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

It is all to do with the peculiarities of this particular venue, and the particular type of night. This karaoke night is for "backpackers". The crowd is transient, rowdy, and sometimes difficult to control. There are some regulars, but few, serious karaoke singers. Entertainment is provided in greater measure by the two hosts of the night. The operator (not me) has his hands full with the various demands of the night - entertainers, sound, stage lighting, and karaoke.

The "thinking" is, keep it simple and controllable.

The "etc" is anything other than, Login, Search the Library, Add yourself to Tonight's List.

As you will now know from my earlier questions, this is my first attempt to utilise the server capabilities in KJams Pro, and the interface capabilities of wtkJams. It may prove to be no problem to give patrons all the control that is available in the full version of wtkJams (and I until I try it out, I am still not sure what they are able to control), but, in the circumstances, it would be good to be able to regulate 'how much control' some patrons have, and, if necessary, be able to do that from the computer running Kjams Pro (maybe this is already built-in - still feeling my way). Fortunately, the full version is not free, and anyone using it is likely to know what they are doing, so it should not be a problem. Does this explain it better?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

The "thinking" is, keep it simple and controllable
well, i'm not sure why you imagine that preventing a singer from setting the pitch on their own song is a good thing? wouldn't it be better to allow the singer to set the pitch on their own song, rather than being forced to make you do it yourself? Wouldn't you rather be paying attention to other things like running the show and shmoozing? And if the singer knows that "Rebel Yell" has to be pitched down two, then let them do it?

I still don't quite get your thinking.

"Simple", sure. If the singer doesn't know or care about changing the pitch, they're not going to do it, right?
The "etc" is anything other than, Login, Search the Library, Add yourself to Tonight's List
I think you're thinking too hard. the "wtkJams" app doesn't let the Singer do anything to other Singers or to kJams itself. They can only manage their Tonight, Favorites, and History. I don't see a reason to NOT let them see what they have sung before (if any) or NOT let them make a list of favorites. They don't HAVE to use either of those if they don't want to.

I think if you just play with it, you'll understand more.

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Yes, you are right. I need to start playing with it, to understand it better. I appreciate your input. I am going to trial it next week. Thanks again!

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

8)

KaraokeGeek

Post by KaraokeGeek »

Okay, I've got one..

(I rarely ever pipe in here, I figure Dave is probably already working on it.. )

Dave asks: (something to the effect of..) Why would you want to NOT allow the singers to change the tempo/pitch of their own songs?

One venue I run is limited to songs six minutes and under. Very busy, the idea is to help get more people on stage during a night.

With the current incarnation, a singer can log in, choose 'Bohemian Rhapsody', crank the tempo down to .5 and steal twelve minutes of stage time.

(I leave the tempo field open on 'KJ Rotation' page to watch for this..)

Anyway.. there's your answer. I can watch for that manually, but it would be a more elegant solution to disable tempo, or at least disable tempo down..

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

that sounds like a good use case. i'll add that feature to the list, tho the list is long, prioritized by how many people request it, and the squeaky wheel gets the.. well, you know.

:)

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

I doubt anyone would ever do that. They would just look like fools, singing a song like a garbled cassette tape with sticky rollers. Besides, the benefit is minimal compared to the coding cost. It is far simpler for the host to notice this offending tempo change, and just bump it back up rather than having to expend countless coding hours to auto-police it, hours that could be better spent on more universal, non-edge case features.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

it's on the list, but very low. if it turns out that it's trivial to implement it'll just happen. but not soon.