Set up??

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
kkomastah

Set up??

Post by kkomastah »

Ok, hopefully someone can send me a link where it shows what i would need to run a show.

I have my laptop and external hard drive with music, and PA's...i know i need a mixer...but curious as to what wires i need and how to hook everything...like from the computer to mixer to speakers and tv's or another computer monitor..

not really sure what i need to buy to have the whole set up running smooth and clear...

ANY help is much appreciated thanks!

jfbiii

Post by jfbiii »

Computer to mixer: stereo 1/8" (computer end) to rca cable. Most mixers can take at least one channel directly from rca input. Since we have several souces (iPods, computers) hooked up, we use rca to 1/4" adaptors to connect to the mixer simultaneously.

Computer to TV: On a Macbook Pro you need the DVI to video converter from Apple. You can then run a long video cable with rca ends to the tv. I run mine through a video switcher but if you're not trying to switch video sources during your show you won't need one. Whatever you do, do NOT run your audio from the computer to the video switcher to the mixer. Go direct to the mixer.

You'll nee speaker cables, of course, from the mixer to the speakers. You'll need microphone cables from the mixer to the mic. Those will be XLR cables, I usually run a set of 20' cables to the stage, then connect a smaller cable from there to the mics. The thing about mic cables is that they're chain-able, so I have 2 twenty foot cables and 4 10 foot cables. The smaller cables are easier to deal with. They get twisted up a lot and a 40' cable is a pain to untangle.

For microphones, I love the Shure SM58s. But for karaoke a lot of folk find cheaper mics to be a little more practical. The Shures are durable and they sound great. The cheaper mics that I have haven't aged nearly as well.

Last thing...in my experience you should have at least one extra of every kind of cable that you need. Same for adaptors. Right now I only have one video adaptor, but I really should have a spare for that. You should also have a spare mic. a couple of female to female rca adapters are also invaluable. Especially if you do mobile gigs.

I provide links only to prevent confusion. You'll be better off finding one place to get all this stuff from if you order over the internet to save on shipping. Most of the adaptors and cables I just buy locally. It's worth a couple of extra dollars to have a good local selection of miscellaneous connectors.

kkomastah

Post by kkomastah »

thanks a ton! for taking the time to help out

dave
Site Admin

:)

Post by dave »

Yes thanks for responding!

DeeJayTom

iBook video out

Post by DeeJayTom »

Has anyone used kjams on a G4 iBook?
And can you separate the screens so the singer is seeing the lyrics only while the operator can manage the playlist?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

you really should start a new topic, rather than posting a new question in an old topic.

but yes and yes are the answers.

randyj

Post by randyj »

deejaytom-

I tried running kJams on a G4 Mac for a gig one time. It was really pushing the computer to the very limit and beyond. The graphics were slow (lyrics sweeps were in big chunks instead of a smooth flow) but the audio was good

That said... maybe the iBook is faster or has a better video card / chip than the middle-of-the-road eMac I was on (1.0 Ghz G4). It may be helpful to compare the specs (especially the video processor type and main processor speed)

http://support.apple.com/specs/emac/eMa ... phics.html (3rd one)
http://support.apple.com/specs/ibook/

When I tell people about kJams (convinced a few to buy it!) I've been recommending "any Intel Mac" and at least 1 GB of RAM (except the Mac Mini which can only drive one screen)

Another consideration (I'm an Apple repair tech): the hard drive in an iBook is particularly difficult to replace (almost an hour for an experienced tech, 2 hours first-timer) and they're beginning to go out. Count on paying about $100 labor when it goes. Unless you know the iBook has been gently used, and OFF most of the time, any other Mac portable would be better.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

8)