Using kJams in Parallels in Catalina

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
goateeguy

Using kJams in Parallels in Catalina

Post by goateeguy »

Hi everyone,

Not sure if anyone else has been using kJams in Parallels.
I don't want to copy my entire kJams library into my Parallels VM for obvious reasons.

I've installed a fresh install of Mojave into the latest version of Parallels.
I've created a shared folder, which contains the "kJams" folder.
I've created an Alias from that kJams folder, and put it into the "Music" folder in the VM Users Library.

(I've also copied over all the preferences files)

kJams will open / be registered, everything is there.
However, it keeps giving errors it can't write to the shared drive.
Screen Shot 2019-10-10 at 4.54.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-10-10 at 4.54.17 PM.png
-------
Now, it can MAKE a file and folder. (For Example, if I make a new singer)
there will be a new singers folder, in the singers folder.
There will also be the files it needs in that folder.
However it can't seem to WRITE info into the files.

Same thing if I do as the one screen shot says. Delete the songs.ktd file and hit try again.
It will create a new file, but give the errors above.
The log says the following.

Code: Select all

------ Result BEGIN:
Error during save
kJams encountered an error while trying to save the database (Parameter Error). You may need to free up some space on your hard drive, or delete the existing Songs.ktd file, then press “Try again”. Note that if you press “Cancel”, your database will not be saved, and may be corrupted. Please Send the log file.
User pressed: [Cancel]

------ Result END
    18: Exiting Thread: <No Kill: Save Songs>
   -43: RemoveEventLoopTimer: idle timer nib dialog
     0: 
------ Result BEGIN:
kJams requires write access to the folder </Volumes/SharedFolders>, you must fix this for kJams to function correctly.

User pressed: [OK]

------ Result END
     0: 
------ Dialog Init BEGIN:
Error attempting to save database!: “Parameter Error”

------ Dialog Init END
     0: Dialog windType: -1, ID: 136
     0: Should be NIB: Yes
     0: Success getting NIB: Yes
   -42: RemoveEventLoopTimer: idle timer nib dialog
     0: 
------ Result BEGIN:
Error attempting to save database!: “Parameter Error”

User pressed: [OK]

------ Result END
   -44: RemoveEventLoopTimer: idle timer nib dialog
    -6: Not saving because: gApp->i_db->IsDirty() is FALSE
" -6: Not saving because: gApp->i_db->IsDirty() is FALSE"
Is kJams not registering the folder properly? I can read and write from that folder just fine in the finder.

Anyone else have any luck? issues? workarounds?

dave
Site Admin

Re: Using kJams in Parallels in Catalina

Post by dave »

i'm actually working on this bug right now

Update: fixed. next update will fix this

goateeguy

Post by goateeguy »

Is there an ETA for this update, just want to figure out if I need a work around
Cheers

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

AllenKeefer

Post by AllenKeefer »

I have been putting off installing Catalina because I need kJams. Therefore, it appears I can not install Mojave in parallels. (If I am wrong here, please let me know how. I don't want to update to Catalina, lose kJams, then find I still can not install Mojave in Parallels.

I have Windows 10 on Parallels. If I buy the Windows version of kJams and install it in the Windows 10 area, will it work?

goateeguy

Post by goateeguy »

You can run Mojave in Parallels 15.

I've been playing around with kJams, and have been importing songs into it and such. I haven't done an actual show, but so far no issues. (Other than the one mentioned before, which has already been fixed.)

AllenKeefer

Post by AllenKeefer »

Okay, now what?

I have Parallels 15 installed with a copy of iOS Mojave installed running kJams Pro.

I can't seem to view the kJam Pro files on my MacBook Pro from inside Mojave. I think I have sharing all set up correctly, but maybe not. I've created an alias on the MacBook Pro's kJam folder, but can't Copy/Paste it.

What am I doing wrong/

Thanks in advance!

AllenKeefer

Post by AllenKeefer »

Can anyone recommend a karaoke program that is Catalina ready? Frustration is building up trying to get Parallels to work.

Is there a program that will rename files as good as kJams? I'll miss that part.

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

An alternative that worked for me was to finally break down and buy a La Cie SSD. I created a Mojave drive on it just to run kJams. It's also useful for moving files around between computers.

Even after kJams is 64-bit, and I upgrade that drive to Catalina, it is nice that I have my kJams library in a tiny form that can run on *anybody's* Mac. It has both a Thunderbolt-3 plug and a USB plug. I can plug it into a Mac, hold down Option when I boot, select the SSD drive. (On my iMac, I made sure Time Machine sees the SSD drive, when I boot from the SSD, nothing gets backed-up until later).

This works great.

AllenKeefer

Post by AllenKeefer »

I jump back and forth a lot between my DJ program and kJams. Using an external drive wouldn't work for me as it would require a reboot between switches.

It's a great idea otherwise. Thanks for your suggestion and appreciate your answer.

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

If it is just those two programs, you might consider running your DJ program on the Mojave drive. If it's doing a bunch of other work, then I guess your only solution is Parallels.

I tried Fusion, but it wouldn't let me put my output to external monitors.

AllenKeefer

Post by AllenKeefer »

So, for clarification, I would install Mojave on the La Cie SSD, load kJams, load my DJ program, load all the KJ files, load my songs, and run everything from there? You think it would be fast enough?

Do you think iTunes would run from there as well so I could buy songs on the run?

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

When I first installed Mojave on my SSD, I had all of my data (and program) on my Catalina drive, and used aliases to point to the old stuff, which worked. But I decided to move everything to the Mojave drive, as this gives me great flexibility being able to run it on any Mac!

I got the idea after reading this article: https://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonykar ... a5e8cbd05c

That article says it is faster to use a SSD using Thunderbolt-3 than using a fusion drive on the Mac.

I'm not sure I see much improvement, but it isn't slower.

Actually, *my* Mac has Thunderbolt-1, so I used the other cord that came with the drive to connect it to my USB-3. But I did test it with my wife's Mac using Thunderbolt-3. I moved the drive over there, held option as I rebooted, and selected the SSD drive and booted to Mojave as if it was a complete Mac.

I got cheap and only bought the 1TB model, I wish I had charged the difference and gotten 2TB for the future, but 1TB is the size of my Fusion drive now, and 1TB SSD actually is overkill for my current needs.

I first found the Mojave install.com and saved it on a USB disk, then I bought the drive at a local Apple store.
I formatted that drive APFS (giving it a good name), then I installed Mojave & tested. I booted to Catalina and told my Time Machine to back-up the SSD. I copied the program over and all of the data.

kJams gives me a license for a backup, which is on my wife's iMac (where it won't do me any good until it's converted to 64-bits). So I needed to de-register one of my copies so that I could register it again on my copy. Actually, I'm confused now on exactly what I did, as I went through other steps (using Parallels) before I came to this solution.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

cool.

i'm not sure if i saw a question in that, sounds more like a status or informational update. if you have a specific question, let me know!

-dave

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

I have read that Parallels is working on a version that will run on an ARM Mac. But I don't know whether it will be ready before 64-bit kJams is ready. I extremely doubt if I could boot up on my Mojave SSD from an ARM Mac.