external hard drives

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
walrus

external hard drives

Post by walrus »

Hi, I use an external hard drive to hold my songs. I just bought a backup and copied my library onto it. Is there a way to activate two external drives at the same time? Thanks, Don

dave
Site Admin

Re: external hard drives

Post by dave »

not sure what you mean "activate two external drives".

kJams has one library. that library is on the external drive. do you want duplicates to show up in the library? (that would be very bad)

do you mean you want the ability to "swap out" one drive for the other at any time?

if so, you just need to make sure the new drive has the same name as the old (mac) or that the new drive mounts to the same drive letter as the old (windows). obviously you MUST eject the first drive BEFORE you connect the second for it to "just work"

walrus

Post by walrus »

I wanted to swap a drive out if it goes bad. I didn't know if I could have two drives with the same name. So I just use the procedure of adding music to an external drive?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

both drives must have the same name and same EXACT folder / file structure (ie: one is a literal clone of the other).

in that case, just create your library with one drive, then quit. then clone the drive. then you can plug in either drive. (since they're both exactly the same). note that if you edit any meta data on one drive, you must then re-clone or sync that to the other drive.

-dave