Why do I sometimes rip multiple copies from one?

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
HowardBrazee

Why do I sometimes rip multiple copies from one?

Post by HowardBrazee »

I just bought the song "16 tons" from Karaoke Net. I downloaded the .zip file and ripped it.
Now I see 3 different songs in my library. They look the same except for two different names. I will delete two of them, but I'm curious why do they rip this way. I went to my downloads file and opened the .zip file and found what I expect, a .cdg and a .MP3 file.

HowardBrazee

Re: Why do I sometimes rip multiple copies from one?

Post by HowardBrazee »

Oops, I see that I have a new "Corrupted Zip File. I deleted them all and ripped them again.

Nevermind!

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

okay so i do not think "rip" means what you think it means. When you purchase a song from an online music store, the song is "downloaded and imported" (in the kJams parlance it is "added to the library"). When you put a CD+G disc into your computer's disc reader, and "copy" the song off of the disc, THAT is called "ripping".

when you get a ZIP file, do NOT unzip it, leave it zipped, and add that ONE file to kJams. kJams will look inside for the audio and video. if you unzip it and THEN add the containing folder, you'll be adding two copies: the zipped and the unzipped.

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

That's what I do. I just drag .zip files to kJams and select "copy".

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

Right now I am going through my library with volume turned down, displaying songs on my other monitor. When I see unreadable fonts, I change the title, appending (Bad) to the name. I intend on re-ripping from CD or re-loading from downloaded files to see if they come out better (one example *did* come out better in a test).

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

well, if you JUST drag the zip file in, then you will definitely NOT get three entries in the Library, so if you ARE getting three entries in the library, then you're doing something other than just dragging the zip files in.

keep me posted

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

I'll watch in the future. I'm pretty much done loading our disks and the songs I bought. Other people might contribute more.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

FYI, an easier methodology would be to either use the label tag to add a colored label to the songs with bad data, or create a new playlist, and just drag them there. Much less work than editing the file name. And then you can perform actions on the entire playlist.
Last edited by DeusExMachina on Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

:shock: