Current LaCie Drive compatibility? Burning

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
Stuart_Marshall

Post by Stuart_Marshall »

I have a great KJams library and now want to burn some discs off to take with me when I sing Karaoke at our local club.

I live in the UK and have spent the last two evenings searching on the net for available compatible drives (from the KJams list) available in the UK - but with little success.

The HP 1040e is available (but lightscribe would not work on mac if I want to use it for anything else - no mac software)

I can also easily get a LaCie D2 external firewire/USB drive that does come with mac lightscribe software, but I am not sure from the list whether this latest (new) drive will work - and it will be an expensive mistake if it doesn't.

I can't get a Plextor PX716UF drive, as recommended on this forum, in the UK (but could order an expensive (Shipping that is) one from ebay in USA).

What do you suggest is my best option?

I also already have a Weibetech combo dock if there is an easily currently available internal IDE drive available.

Hope you guys can help

Thanks

Stuart

dave
Site Admin

:)

Post by dave »

lightscribe would not work on mac if I want to use it for anything else - no mac software
Not sure where you got that info, the LightScribe works just fine on the mac, and there is indeed LightScribe software for the mac, which will let you write labels to the disc front. plus it will work with iTunes and the Finder.
I can also easily get a LaCie D2 external firewire
the Lacie D2 is in fact a LightScribe, so yes it will work.

-dave

Stuart_Marshall

No I was just concerned that the HP drive did not have mac lightscribe software, only PC, whereas the lacie comes with mac and PC lightscribe software.

Do you know if the latest LaCie lightscribe burner works? Most of the other drives on the compatibility list seem at least a year old and I was just concerned that the Lacie latest model may not work - needless to say lacie have not bothered to email me back!

I can get a HP 1040e second hand at a push or PC world business sell them for £54 including delivery

Stuart_Marshall

Found someone who can post me a Plextor PX-716UF from states for $15 a bargain - now I am really not sure what to go for - I take it the Plextor is the BEST BUY from reading the forums?

Help please from those burning discs - what shall I buy?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

well the plextor is sure to work, and so is the Lacie, yes for burning too.

Stuart_Marshall

Thanks!

I am surprised the LaCie's work - it doesn't say CD+G on their data sheet!

If the new LaCie's really do work to burn discs with KJams then perhaps as this is one of the few drives that are readily available from the KJams compatible drive list it should be a recommended buy - especially in Europe - it is £70 which is far less than importing a Plextor from their website at $256 dollars plus postage and import duties.

Do you know if the LaCies that are not lightscribe- a year or two old work -just lots cheap on eBay in UK

I must admit the HP is looking promising - too one finishing in a couple of days on ebay in my home town just a shame I won't be able to use it's lightcribe capabilities..

Perhaps I should just stop penny pinching and buy a LaCie for £70 and have a years warranty!

Stuart

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Stuart_Marshall

Cool

I presume this works with the HP1040e too?

Oh the confusion! Which one to choose now....

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

I make that presumption but have not proven it. (it IS a lightscribe right?)

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

I have an HP1040e and it does not burn CdG very well. I tried two CDs and they did nt copy well. I would hate for you to make the same mistake. I'm going to return mine tomorrow!

Stuart_Marshall

So it looks like a new LaCie or a Plextor then!

Stuart_Marshall

Just had a helpful reply from LaCie.

The drive they are using is a Samsung and it's linked data sheet says CD+G compatible!

The message from LaCie UK reads:

Hello Stuart, our new 20x drive will burn CD+G discs. Here are some
technical details on the model drive we are using.
http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=306
I'm not positive this is the model we are using, but I will be able to
check later today.

Stuart_Marshall

LaCie have just confirmed that they use the Samsung drive and it is CD+G compatible. They gave me the link to this review:

http://www.extrememhz.com/shs203N-p1.shtml

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

8)