Custom naming with mixed CDG disks

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
karaokeniagara

Custom naming with mixed CDG disks

Post by karaokeniagara »

I have disks that are labeled:
Test-01 - Artist - Title (L-T - R - S)
Test-V1-01 - Artist - Title (L-L-T - R - S)

Is there something i'm missing?
What Naming structure can I use so kjams will just import the tracks as they are shown?

dave
Site Admin

Re: Custom naming with mixed CDG disks

Post by dave »

not sure what you mean.

you're not talking about a physical disc? but FILES on your hard drive, right?

gather all the ones that match one template, and batch interpret them
then gather the ones that match the OTHER template, and batch interpret them. right?

DeusExMachina

Thread hijack (was Re: Custom naming with mixed CDG disks)

Post by DeusExMachina »

Thread hijack warning:
I was going to post this anyway: is it possible to get a template hierarchy, such that filenames that don't match a primary template get tried on the next down in the hierarchy?
So you can batch convert tracks that are a mix of L-T - R - S and R - S (the most common two) and it will at least properly put the meta data in the right fields (even if it doesn't do any file renaming)?
I would suspect that it would be fairly easy algorithmically to separate L-L-T - R - S, L-T - R - S, and R - S, and employ the correct template for each in batch mode.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

no because the last template element in any template will suck up EVERYTHING after it, more likely doing harm than good.
best to apply templates directly only to KNOWN entities.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

As I envisioned it, only if the data match. So, for instance, something with 4 fields, L, T, R, and S say, e.g. SC1707-01 - Atomic Kitten - Tide is High (Get the Feeling), The.zip would get reinterpreted using the L-T - R - S template, but items with only two fields would in turn get interpreted by the secondary default, say R - S.
And misapplications are the users' fault, but then again, that's how it is currently, too!
This would have three benefits: first, it would allow FAR more automation, even reducing the fixing of most libraries down to one or two steps, since almost all tracks are in only one of two or three formats (mostly L-T - R - S and RS, from my experience), second, it would make the annoying dialogue where kJams lets you know upon import, editing of a field, etc. that the metadata for the selected track could not be saved, and relatedly, it would allow that metadata to be saved!
Last edited by DeusExMachina on Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

okay well, i guess that makes more sense. i'll add it to the infinitely long list.