auto tempo and key for singers

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
rpepe4

auto tempo and key for singers

Post by rpepe4 »

Can I assign a key and tempo in the singers list that all songs will adjust to automatically? This was a feature of the PC program Compuhost that I previously used and this feature was essential for singers to be able to pick out the key and tempo that they were comfortable singing and have the songs adjust accordingly.

dave
Site Admin

Re: auto tempo and key for singers

Post by dave »

that is a very interesting feature. for that to work, kjams would have to be able to detect the current key, and the current beat, which it can not do. that's the only way it could successfully target a key, it would have to know where it is starting from.

but you CAN set the pitch and tempo on a song, and kJams will remember that setting for that singer, always.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

FTR, I am pretty sure Compuhost through version V2 does NOT do this. The first problem is that Compuhost mistakes the terms "key" and "pitch" as the same things. Compuhost does not allow you to specify a key, either for single singers or for a playlist. (It also does not allow you to specify a tempo, a much easier feat, computationally, but still not something it does.)
Compuhost essentially does exactly what kJams does, allows you to adjust pitch and tempo in stepped increments.
For most groups of singers, being able to change these globally is not really a useful feature, as different singers have different ranges where they are comfortable singing, and there is neither any specific key or pitch at which all people are comfortable singing. In addition, most people expect the track to play back at the SAME key it is recorded by the original artist. Changing this without singers' direct request will not be taken kindly to by most singers.
Moreover, just because a singer is comfortable in a given key for a given song in no way implies that that key will work for them for all songs. How a song's range fits a given singer changes on a song per song basis, based on the actual notes in that song, the transitions between them, and numerous other factors.
Last edited by DeusExMachina on Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

:mrgreen: