MP3 import fidelity

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
franks

MP3 import fidelity

Post by franks »

Recently added new song zip and on playback noticed that background vocals are almost lost in noise and clarity(and volume level).

This is not new, i've encountered this loss frequently... almost all the time.

Now, when I "unzip" the song and play the MP3 thru iTunes, every thing is very clear! Background vocals standout beautifully and entire music file sounds much like a "hi-fi" recording.

But returning it back into the zip, quality is again diminished on kJams playback.

It has made, in many cases, picking out music cues when singing a lost cause.

Is this a deficiency of kJams, or have I overlooked something.

any thoughts??

dave
Site Admin

Re: MP3 import fidelity

Post by dave »

i think what you're seeing must be a mirage. a zip file is lossless (it must be, otherwise you could not zip executable programs), so there is no difference between playing an unzipped mp3 and playing a zipped mp3 (which only has the extra step of unzipping before playing)

can you send me said zip file and unzipped? i suspect they are actually different mp3 files.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Dave, it might also be due to SoundCheck in iTunes normalizing the track, and/or the EQ.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Okay so check the EQ settings. also, please send me the files so i can look at this myself.

franks

Post by franks »

Thanks for your inputs

But what happened I believe, is that the "hi-fi substituted" MP3's in the zip's actually did not play back.

Why?, because kJams was playing the non- hi fi files from the cache..... which I forgot to empty

Sounds good now!!

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

ah, so all is well :)