External Hard Drive Problem

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
waynegfx

External Hard Drive Problem

Post by waynegfx »

I just tried to install all my music onto a 4 gb external hard drive and somehow messed up the alias kJams folder. Now I am getting an error saying that is can't find the kJams music folder. What do I do now to retrieve it? I have a show tonight and I'm worried

dave
Site Admin

Re: External Hard Drive Problem

Post by dave »

just go thru the directions again, make sure the alias points to where it should.
tell me exactly what you did? i can't help if i don't know what is going on :)

waynegfx

Post by waynegfx »

I deleted the original kJams folder in my Music folder on my mac. I did something wrong and now it will not open at all. I made an alias and put it on the new external hard drive and deleted the original.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

sorry, but that's not very clear. also, it doesn't seem to line up with what the directions say.

the point is to move the kJams folder from the internal to the external, then make an alias of the external and put it where the internal was. from what you said, you first deleted all your music (?) and then you put an alias (to what?) on the external drive? then deleted the original (what original?)

waynegfx

Post by waynegfx »

All my music is on the external Hard Drive. I am not able to link it to my computer and open kJams because it is saying kJams music folder not found.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

send a screen shot of your kJams folder on the external, and the Music folder on the internal

waynegfx

Post by waynegfx »

I can't get kJams to open without finding the kJams Music Folder. Should I re-install kJams and start over?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

i'm talking about the finder now, not kjams. screen shots of your finder windows
no, reinstalling won't do anything, since it's a drag and drop install.
shot.png
in the top window, the internal drive, shows the music folder, and inside that is an ALIAS called "kJams" which points to the external drive. in the below window, you see the External drive, with the ACTUAL folder called kJams, to which the alias on the internal drive points. and inside that is the "kJams Music" folder.

waynegfx

Post by waynegfx »

How do i send a screen shot on the forum? Both folders seem to be alias's not opening

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

below the posting area there is a tab "upload attachment". be sure to click "place inline" too.

waynegfx

Post by waynegfx »

Computer copy.png
Computer copy.png (54.86 KiB) Viewed 7462 times

waynegfx

Post by waynegfx »

External.png

waynegfx

Post by waynegfx »

I am not able to open kJams and don't know what to do. Please let me know how to fix the original kJams Music folder. Thanks

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

that doesn't look like my screenshot. please view "as columns" so you can see inside the folder too

you've got a kJams alias on the internal, where does it point to?
there's a kJams alias on the external, which you don't need, delete that
seems that there is no longer an actual "kJams" folder anywhere, all you have are two aliases?
make yours look like mine. the ACTUAL kJams folder is on the external drive

also, you seem to have all your karaoke file-folders at the root of your external HD? they really belong in a folder.
if you have really actually thrown out and deleted your one and only "kJams" folder, then you're going to have to rebuild anyway

at this point it seems you've gotten the situation sufficiently confused that i think we should just talk on the phone.

waynegfx

Post by waynegfx »

my number is 214-926-6571 it's Wayne,,,thank you so much