KJ Rotation Singer #

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
cotaroba

KJ Rotation Singer #

Post by cotaroba »

In wtkJams, the each singer's KJ Rotation # is displayed. This is great because everyone will know where they are in the queue. Is there a way, perhaps with a [xattr] tag or special rotation ShowScreen metatag, that will allow me to display this number in the ShowScreen?

It would look something like this:
Who's Singing Next:
#3 Gordon: Love Shack
#4 Jim: Bad to the Bone
#1 Andre: Against All Odds
#2 Dave: Meet Me in St. Louis

I found a file called ~Rotation.xml that I was playing around with, but couldn't find the [tag] that would give me the KJ Rotation # for each singer.

dave
Site Admin

Re: KJ Rotation Singer #

Post by dave »

the rotation showscreen shows the singers in order.

the first one is up next
the 2nd one is, well, second
etc

maybe i'm not understanding what you mean?

cotaroba

Post by cotaroba »

When you look at the KJ Rotation, it looks something like this:
1 - Andre | Love Shack
2 - Jim |
3 - Bobby | Piano Man
4 - Ash | Bitch
5 - Teresa | Dreams
6 - Jon |
7 - Dave | Purple Rain

The ShowScreen will look like this:
Andre: Love Shack
Bobby: Piano Man
Ash: Bitch
Teresa: Dreams
Dave: Purple Rain

I want to customize my ShowScreen to look like this:
#1 Andre: Love Shack
#3 Bobby: Piano Man
#4 Ash: Bitch
#5 Teresa: Dreams
#7 Dave: Purple Rain

This way people can see where they are in the queue. I toyed around with using the switch in startup.py [kjams.pref_set("Singer with no song still gets listed in Rotation", False)], but when I have a large gap of singers without songs, you don't see who's next. Then when those singers start adding songs, I won't get the inevitable question: "I was singing after Teresa, why was I bumped down after Jon?"

Trying to explain the rotation queue and interleaving to a bunch of drunk people never works well for me. Being able to show their number from the KJ Rotation would allow me to say, "See, you're #7 in the queue and Jon is #6. Jon just put a song in. He didn't skip line or anything. Now relax and have another margarita."

When you use wtkJams, you see this number (the KJ Rotation Number), so you know where you are in the queue. I would just like to use it in the ShowScreen as well.

Next party I'm going all out with the wtkJams so I can focus on getting drunk myself and not finding songs for people and adding them to the rotation. :)

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

oh I see.

you *may* be able to accomplish this with the tag:

Code: Select all

[stIx]
eg: the line in the showscreen would be:

Code: Select all

<key>string</key>
<string>[stIx]: [SNGR]</string>
however, i'm not sure about that, i've never tried it.

In kJams 2, you CAN have it show this way:
Jim: No song submitted!
Jon: No song submitted!
Note you can also customize that message so it says eg: "dude! put a song in!" or whatever you want.

cotaroba

Post by cotaroba »

kJams did not like that tag.... got this error when I tried it: "Assert Fail: 0, in file: '/Users/davec/Developer/depot/kJams/Development/ source/Utils/CMeta_PLItem.cpp' at line 53"

cotaroba

Post by cotaroba »

dave wrote:
In kJams 2, you CAN have it show this way:
Jim: No song submitted!
Jon: No song submitted!
Note you can also customize that message so it says eg: "dude! put a song in!" or whatever you want.

I played around with that feature, and I liked it until I got this:
Jim: -No Song-
Ash: -No Song-
Teresa: -No Song-
Jon: -No Song-
Dave: -No Song-

BUT there were ten other singers after them with songs. Now Tina, the next singer, wasn't ready when her turn came up. When I had it without that switch turned on, Tina got mad when Jim, Ash, Teresa and Dave put in songs while I was singing (Paradise in the Dashboard lights for 07:46 minutes) and she suddenly wasn't next anymore.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

unfortunately there just isn't any way to do this right now.

i fixed the bug, so you'll get indexes now if you edit your showscreen as above, but it takes the indexes from the Rotation list, which doesn't show singers that don't have songs, so the numbers are just increasing without gaps.

I even spent some time looking into how this could be done, but did not find any way to do it easily. at this point it falls out of the "oh that's simple i could do it real quick right now" and falls into the "feature request" pile, which is long, and prioritized based on how many requests i get for a particular feature.

so, "it's on the list" is the best i can do right now.