Central Library

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
Karanight

Central Library

Post by Karanight »

Don't know if this should be sent to Dave as an email but I thought others might like the answer
Before I start I should say I own 4 kJams licenses.
I sometimes run 3 or even 4 Karaoke's at the same time and recently I've started to use Google Drive to send new tracks to venues.
I want to know if I can put one Library along with all the singers etc onto the Google Drive so that kJams at the venues can pick it up from the Google Drive (some would need to be picked up at the same time)

I also want to put the tracks on the Google Drive so when I update the tracks the DJ presenting doesn't need to add anything to the library because I would have done it. If I can do this it would mean that some times a track might be required at two venues at the same time, would this be a conflict?
Posted by Len of LensKaraoke fame

Web site at
http://lenskaraoke.com

dave
Site Admin

Re: Central Library

Post by dave »

generally it's not really legal to "share" music between DJs, even those working for the same company. each DJ must have their own, unique purchase of any particular song.

so, while technically possible, you're treading on thin ice to do that.

Karanight

Post by Karanight »

If the tracks are on a central HD and then downloaded to be played at different venues but not kept on the drive at the download sites and I've got each HD covered with a Pro Dub license then I should be OK because the track is being kept on one single HD.

Web site at

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Well, IANAL, so i think you should consult a lawyer on that. Especially if you have even one Sound Choice song.

But, skirting that issue, to formally answer your question, yes, you can use cloud drive or dropbox or whatever to move your music. It will "stream" off the connected server just fine.

I would not recommend streaming the "kJams Library" folder, however, i'd instead have the KJ download the folder before the show, run it locally, then, if you plan to save singers' histories, upload it back after a show.

You're going to get into sync issues if more than one KJ is running literally at the same time, however.

Karanight

Post by Karanight »

dave wrote: You're going to get into sync issues if more than one KJ is running literally at the same time, however.
That answers my question. The library and history was the most important thing I wanted
Back to the drawing board

Web site at

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

yes, currently there is no peer-to-peer sync between two copies of the same library. there is only master-slave "sync" (where one completely replaces the other)

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Trying to stream the Library, as stated, will likely cause you headaches. Just watch the activity Window for how often the database is saved. Since kJams does not deal with peer to peer access, there is no conflict resolution.
In terms of streaming a track from Google Drive to two venues at the same time, there will be no conflicts, as long as you have two fast internet connections, as this is a Google Drive issue.
But unless you pay for a MASSIVE amount of extra data, I suspect you will very quickly run out of space if you start using it as the main repository for tracks instead of your current strategy of just using the drive for transporting tracks to venues.
Last edited by DeusExMachina on Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

what he said