creating folders for music

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
tryingcake

creating folders for music

Post by tryingcake »

I remember reading somewhere here or in the help files not to have folders with large numbers of music. All my music is in folders that reflect the original disk (15-20 or so per folder). However, I just purchased almost 85k songs that are all in one big folder. I really don't want to go through making "disk" folders for that many songs. On average, what is the largest number I could have in any one folder and still operate smoothly?

dave
Site Admin

Re: creating folders for music

Post by dave »

try breaking them into 8 folders of 10,000

tryingcake

Post by tryingcake »

Awesome! I thought you were going to tell me no more than 50. Thank you!

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

so do that and test the performance of just playing a song by double clicking it. if it seems fine, then it is fine. if there's a delay, you have to gauge how annoying the delay is for you. If it's annoying, try cutting each folder in half (to 5k). Repeat until you're no longer annoyed :)

tryingcake

Post by tryingcake »

As described in my newest post. I'm fairly OCD. Each brand has it's own folder and any of those (such as sound choice) with a lot of files are broken down again. I don't have any folders with more than 1100 files in each. It took a couple of hours but worth it. Between that and getting rid of that message when closing, it's running pretty smooth right now. I'm liking this program so far... a lot!

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

YAY!