Song ID sequence

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
DrussRob

Song ID sequence

Post by DrussRob »

Hey Dave,

When I first began using kjams I was ripping my CDs all willy nilly, without regard to where the file(s) was being stored. After awhile, I began to see the benefit of having all files in a central location and I ran the consolidation process. It worked great! Shortly after that, I began ripping the remainder of my CDs. I noticed a bit later that the Song IDs took a big jump from the last consolidated file to the newest ripped file. I was wondering what I might have done to cause this and also if there might be anyway possible (however painful it may be) to remedy this. I know it's typically not a big deal, however in my case, I only host charity type shows (I never charge) for senior citizens here locally and I'm concerned that the seven digit song IDs may be a bit much for some of the older eyes and attention spans to deal with.

Thanks for any insight!

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/3504/u4wl.jpg

dave
Site Admin

Re: Song ID sequence

Post by dave »

my advice to you is to stop using Song IDs. just use song name. it's easier to remember: "spanish eyes u2" than it is to remember "31351" anyway, right? Song IDs are a leftover from the days of yore, when people carted around physical CDs to each show. That was before you could just *search* for "spanish eyes u2" and have the song playing as soon as it's found.

if you absolutely must "fix" your song IDs, then you have to consolidate *again*, but then all your song IDs will change (Again) and you'll have to re-print your song books (again). see why i recommend you don't even use Song IDs?

DrussRob

Post by DrussRob »

Gotcha. The only reason I really used them to start with was if there was a song I had several versions of I would use the IDs to differentiate. But, that rarely happens anyway. If I'm honest with myself, a large portion of this is due to my OCD... which I will now deny. A practice in self control if you will.

*Turning off the song ID column... Reprogramming brain* it hurts a little..

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

it hurts a little..
yes, i know. i am the same way. but in a few months, you'll wonder why you ever cared. ;)