A way to post song list

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
waynegfx

A way to post song list

Post by waynegfx »

I am running kJams with a MacBook Air. At my karaoke show I have over 50 thousand songs. To allow singers to sign in I use iJams and I thought of another way to let them browse my song list. I got a Dropbox account and copied my song list from kJams, converted to PDF and shared the PDF with my DropBox account. I send the link to tinyurl.com to make the link shorter then print up a paper with the link for singers to get on their cellphones. If the people at the show have DropBox, which is free, they can search either by song title or singer name right on the cell phone. It sounds complicated, but it is easy and works great. If anyone knows of something I could do to make this easier, please let me know.

dave
Site Admin

Re: A way to post song list

Post by dave »

hopefully soon there will be an Android version of wtkJams (which is better than iJams), so that should help.

waynegfx

Post by waynegfx »

Alot of the people have an iPhone, so it works good for wtkJams. It will be good when the android users can use the app too.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Another nifty idea is to enable web sharing on your account, and serve a page directly from your user account on your machine. If you are in 10.7 or below, go to System Preferences>Sharing>Web Sharing and turn it on. If you are in 10.8 (or above, though as of this writing 10.9 is not yet out, so I can not be sure if this is true) you will have to take a trip to Terminal-land.
Launch Terminal from /Applications/Utilities/Terminal
and make sure you are logged in to a Admin account. Then type the following:

sudo apachectl start

at the prompt.
This activates your built-in Apache web server on OSX. From here you can drag a file Safari understands to your Sites folder (you may have to create one). Anyone who is on your local WiFi network and enters your local IP address into the browser, such as 192.168.10.1, or, if their browser supports Bon Jour, your machine name, followed by "~/yourusername" will see your page.
So, e.g., as an experiment, I dragged a random PDF into my Sites folder. Since Safari automatically understands PDFs, the following URL typed into Safari displays that PDF:
http://192.168.1.11/~u-chunchoi/Burn%20 ... Muscle.pdf

This link shortens to:
http://bit.ly/14Cj75V

with bit.ly.

In TinyURL, it changes to:
http://tinyurl.com/n4sy9vx

Using this method no one needs to download anything or sign up for an account. They just need your machine to be on, and connected to the same router.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

8)