New Macbook Air Question

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
waynegfx

New Macbook Air Question

Post by waynegfx »

I have a new Macbook air with a thunderbolt port. I am wondering how to set up the monitor or monitors to view the lyrics on screen. I had a MacBook Pro and it had a DVI (external display) port so it was easy. I have found a mini HDMI adapter and have never used it so I am curious if anyone knows if I can connect more than one monitor to my MacBook air. Thanks for any help on this issue, Wayne

djunod

Re: New Macbook Air Question

Post by djunod »

You can get Thunderbolt to DVI, Thunderbolt to HDMI, Thunderbolt to VGA adapters at your local Apple store. That will allow you to attach a secondary display.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

As a hardware guy, I'll jump in here.
First, it depends on which MBA you have, and what you mean by "multiple monitors".
If by multiple monitors, you mean multiple displays showing the same thing, then yes, you can do that. Easiest is to pick an output format, say HDMI, then get an adaptor, as shown on Dave's link, from MiniDisplayPort to that format. Then get a splitter. For this example you would use a miniDP to HDMI adaptor, then connect that to an HDMI splitter via an HDMI cable. Each HDMI display would then plug into that.
If by "multiple monitors" you mean different images on each, then it depends on what you mean by "new" MBP. If your machine is mid-2012 or later, then yes, you can daisy chain two displays from the Thunderbolt port. You would plug one monitor into the TB port, and then plug the next one into the first monitor. The first monitor MUST be a TB or DP monitor.
If your machine predates the mid-2012 rev, then no, you can only have one display, but you are free to split it, as above.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

8)