Difficulty with sequential ID numbering

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
ranman

Difficulty with sequential ID numbering

Post by ranman »

When I import songs into my library at different times, the song ID numbers does not continue in a sequential order. There are many song ID numbers not used in my database. Is there anyway to resolve the issue or avoid the situation with future downloads? Thank you in advance.

dave
Site Admin

Re: Difficulty with sequential ID numbering

Post by dave »

sorry, what's the actual problem? does it matter if the sequence has gaps?

ranman

Post by ranman »

Thanks Dave. My IDs are currently at 7 digits. I have had to add songs to my library during my last 3 gigs. My 7th digit went from 4xxxxxx to 6xxxxxx. I will progress to 8 digits soon. The more digits, the greater the chance for individual error from the requesting singer or the kj. I also think this could be a problem with space allocation in my song book listing.Thank you in advance for your response.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

oh, wow, that is kinda strange. hmm.

oh. yeah. i see. mmmm. yes i have a half-implemented plan to re-use unused numbers. it is actually working for Music Stores (at least, it SHOULD be working), so that for example, if you right click on a store and go "reload", the song IDs will use any unused slots in the low numbers. Then if you wait for the reload, then do it AGAIN, the second time the song IDs will use the IDs they had before (if the small IDs were used up).

a way out is to rebuild your library, then all songs will get new IDs (but you'll lose all your singers).

another way out is to dispense with Song IDs and just have people use the actual song name/artist name (since it's just as easy to look up that way)