New years eve party at my house

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
ASHWI

New years eve party at my house

Post by ASHWI »

Hi, hoping someone can advise me.

I'm hosting a party at my house tomorrow night and thought it would be good to have the option of some karaoke. I'm wondering what I need.

I have:
MacBook pro
Apple tv3
A telly
Singstar wireless microphones

Will this be enough or do I need a mixer and an amp etc?

Thanks!

dave
Site Admin

Re: New years eve party at my house

Post by dave »

presuming you're using kJams: the AppleTV will not help, you must have the mac plugged directly into the TV.
i assume your Mics are going thru the playstation? if so, then you won't get sound cuz the TV will be set to use the mac.

so perhaps you will need a mixer, tho i don't know if you can have your playstation audio go to the mixer.

a "normal" karaoke setup would have regular wirless mics go out directly to the mixer, the computer to the mixer, then the mixer to the amp/speakers.

ASHWI

Post by ASHWI »

The plan is to mirror what's on the mac through apple tv and plug in the mics through the USB on the mac, not planning to use the playstation at all. Could it work if I was just using the mac and plugging into a hifi for better sound?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

it will not work to have the mics thru the computer thru AppleTV, because of latency. when you sing the sound will be delayed by an unacceptable amount.

but it *will* work if the mics are plugged directly into a separate audio system.

ASHWI

Post by ASHWI »

Ok, I have an older wired mic from singstar which I could plug into my stereo and just use the MacBook as the screen/music. I'll probably need a phono splitter though as the aux input has only one 'hole'

My next door neighbour is a karaoke dj - ill have a word with him. Thanks for the help.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

note as long as your mic goes direct to some speakers separately, you CAN use the AppleTV.