Playing from external drive

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
franks

Playing from external drive

Post by franks »

Need some help in playing karaoke from an external drive.

I read your documentation and related cautions but I do not understand some detail steps.

You say "Alternately, if your music is already on an external hard drive, and you want to keep it there, just leave it there and add the root folder of your music."

Not being too computer literate, what/where is the "root" folder and how do I establish/copy one?

What does a root folder contain?

Do I need more than one root folder for each genre or artist folder located on the external drive?

Where exactly do I place this folder(s) in kJams?

dave
Site Admin

Re: Playing from external drive

Post by dave »

"root" means "the one that contains everything".

for example, the "root" of your hard drive is the icon for the hard drive itself.

the "root" of your user is the user folder itself.

so the "root" of your music folders is the one folder that contains all of your music folders and files. there can be only one root of something.

and you don't place the folder in kjams, you do "add to library" and pick the root. alternately, you can drag and drop the root onto the kjams icon, which will do the same thing under the hood.

franks

Post by franks »

Thanks Dave, I think I understand.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

8)

franks

Post by franks »

Tried what you suggested with a small # of songs and it worked.

However, what I'm concerned about is it appears that kJams is saving the songs as part of its permanant memory.

If this is true, there will be no memory left on my computer since I have a very limited remaining capacity.

My desire is to "offload" a number of songs and add any new songs to the external drive which could be a considerable number.

I would like to be able to access the the external drive either with kJams or directly from the drive icon.
Then play the selected songs with kJams. But,eventually, I will deplete my remaining memory.

Is it possible some how to have kJams "forget" what songs were played from the external drive or does it become necessary to manually delete the previously played songs.

In short, is there any way to access and play any song(s) from the external drive without retaining them permanently in kJams library.
So if I use kJams without the external drive, any song title located in the external drive will not show in the library.

If I have the wrong slant on this line of thinking, perhaps you can advise.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

first just a bit of clarification:

"memory" refers to "RAM", that is, "Random Access Memory", the chips inside the computer.
"hard drive space" or "permanent storage" refers to the (traditionally) spinning platters in a hard drive.

they are not the same thing, however they can be confused by new users because they are both measured using the same unit (mega- or giga- bytes)

what you're talking about is "hard drive space".

second: you're confusing the cache with actual files. when kjams plays a song, it copies the uncompressed data to the cache. the cache is cleared in "least recently used" order. you can set the cache to a low number, say five. so when you play song #6, then song #1 will be wiped from it. you do not have to clear the cache manually, it is automatic.

you can if you want set the cache to use the external drive as well, in the audio prefs.