Repairing corrupted zip files

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
RobertVega

Repairing corrupted zip files

Post by RobertVega »

ok just recently purchased the pro version of this and i love it, but the only problem im having is i have a bunch of corrupted files that kjams doesnt recognize, very new to this, im not a computer tech so this is a whole differ language for me to understand, i have a new mac pro, new to mac comps too, was a pc guy for ever but went into VJing, but wanted to this also, guess my question is i was is there a way to repair a corrupted file? im thinking it was corrupted before i installed but have no way of knowing? i have all my karaoke on a external drive, please help!

dave
Site Admin

Re: Repairing corrupted zip files

Post by dave »

corrupted zip files can not be repaired.

what you do is select all, then go edit->trash original files. this will delete them permanently and get them out of your hair.

then you can delete the playlist, since it is empty.

sara ketty

Post by sara ketty »

Hi RobertVega,
You can repair corrupted zip files using third party tools with few simple clicks. Remo Repair Zip is one such software that can repair your corrupted zip files stored on any storage media with few simple clicks. It can repair Zip files with CRC erros. It can also repair large Zip files that are 4GB or more in size. You can download the free demo version of the software.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

we need a mac version of that utility

SVella

Post by SVella »

Well Dave!
You are wrong or shall I say you were wrong.........corrupted .zip files can be easily repaired as I repaired mine.
Hi Robert!
You can easily repair your corrupt .zip files with the help of a software application if your files are really corrupt. :)
Few weeks ago I repaired my large sized .zip files with the help of SysInfoTools ZIP Repair. You must use this tool, it will be beneficial to you.
As I can't help you more as you haven't described you complete problem. But just check it free demo version, it will show the record of your recovered file.
Just download the free version from:
http://www.sysinfotools.com/recovery/zip-recovery.html
Try it fella............... 8) 8) 8) 8)

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Yes, i'm aware there are some tools for Windows that can repair corrupted zip files, but as i said, we need a tool for Mac.

The great utility BetterZip in fact CAN repair those zip files that "unzip" to a ".cpgz" file, but that's really the only kind of recovery it can do.

SVella

Post by SVella »

No..................dave!
It doesn't support Mac..........
Try to search....... :D

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

i'm aware it doesn't support mac. that was my point. when you say "try to search" what are you proposing i search for?

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

From terminal try:
zip -F path/to/your/file

if that does not work, try:
zip -FF path/to/your/file

If you have a bad CRC record, this will not help.
Given that, DiskInternals ZIP Repair is free for Windows, and works perfectly under WINE, so essentially it is OSX-compatible.
Last edited by DeusExMachina on Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

From terminal, you can also try:
ditto -x -k sourcefile.zip Destination_Dir

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

umm, yeah. 8)

tryingcake

Post by tryingcake »

I am using a MacBook Pro but also have a Dell PC lying around. Can I fix them on the PC and then move them back to the MAC without having to reload the entire library?

I ask this because I tried to add songs not added the first time I imported and it loaded everything again causing me to have duplicates for most of my library. I had to delete the library and start over. Not fun. I didn't realize it would not ignore songs already loaded (my old program did this, so I'm spoiled, I guess). That poses another question but I'll start a new thread for that.

If I take my external hard drive, move it to my PC, repair these files and move the hard drive back to the Mac, will KJams automatically know these files have been fixed or do I have to reload the entire library again? I have supposedly 128 corrupted files in a dedicated playlist that I'd like to try to save before deleting.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Can I fix them on the PC and then move them back to the MAC without having to reload the entire library?
as long as the new file has the EXACT same name as the old, and is put back in the EXACT same place, yes.

Probably easiest is to take that "bad playlist" and go "file->export->entire playlist: all files", put it in a folder at the root of your external drive. then, select all the songs in that playlist and go "edit->trash original files".

now go to the PC, do the repairs, replacing that folder with a good folder. then back to the mac, do "add to library", picking the new good folder, and then pick "move" when it asks, to put them into place.

joeneal

Post by joeneal »

This application is successfully resolve all issue of damage or corrupted zip file, CRC errors, virus attacks, suddenly system shutdown, large size of bad sectors in hard disk.

Try:- http://www.recoverydeletedfiles.com/zip ... -tool.html

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Again, no Mac version. Lots of other utilities can do that on the Windows side.
That said, there are also several now on the Mac side as well.