I/O error when ripping discs leads to locked-up system

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
Crimson

I/O error when ripping discs leads to locked-up system

Post by Crimson »

I've been trying to rip my CD+Gs with an externally connected Plextor 712A DVD-R/RW (using an IDE-to-USB adapter) onto my MacBook Pro, and frequently, I get "There was an I/O error reading the disc, perhaps it is scratched?" after the rip attempt freezes on a track for a long time.

Unfortunately, after that happens, it seems that either kJams or Finder has locked up on my drive and I can't even eject the CD without disconnecting the USB connector from the computer, cycling power on the drive by disconnecting and reconnecting the power cable, then ejecting the CD. I also have to reboot the computer in order to get back to ripping a different disc, as a normal shutdown seems to freeze.

dave
Site Admin

me too

Post by dave »

this is not really a problem with kJams, but apparently the OS. I had stuck a CD into iTunes (which, unbeknownst to me, had some goop on it) and started ripping it. When it got to the track covered in goop, iTunes just hung my machine. Forever. Forcing a hard reboot. got the spinny beach ball, no other programs would respond either.

so, check your disc. make sure there's no goop. goop is bad.

Crimson

Post by Crimson »

:lol:

Have you ever experienced similar with pristine, clean discs?

dave
Site Admin

nope

Post by dave »

not me nope, always works perfectly. :(

Crimson

Post by Crimson »

I can probably blame the drive or the external connector. Thanks, though!

Crimson

Post by Crimson »

I'm running a new test environment now, and I'm fairly confident that the problems stems from the external drive/USB-to-IDE connector. I had kept a log of the CDs that had failed when ripping to my MacBook Pro, so I tried those CDs in a G5 tower, and they are ripping without any difficulty so far (three CDs at this point).

dave
Site Admin

awesome!

Post by dave »

let me know how it goes! :D

Crimson

Post by Crimson »

After an afternoon of ripping, it was the hardware. The external drive & USB-to-IDE adapter was just a bit too dodgy, unfortunately. It introduced too many variables into the chain of devices, just to get around the MacBook Pro's inability to read CD+Gs :(

But the tower is working great -- it just makes it a few extra steps to rip, copy, and import properly and reliably.

dave
Site Admin

great!

Post by dave »

I'm so glad to hear it's working. Yes i've had troubles from every corner using USB devices, (reported from many users) but never had trouble using FireWire devices.

Thanks for letting us know!

-dave