kJams Pro>Exporting to Quicktime

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
thiencao87

kJams Pro>Exporting to Quicktime

Post by thiencao87 »

I am having trouble trying to get my kJams Pro to export a CDG+MP3 to a 720p MP4 format. I followed the wiki but it is still exporting as that horrible iPod Quality 320x216.

**I've tried other formats and it still defaults to 320x216. Should I delete plist or something? Not sure.

**Oh I also uncheck the Pod Border thingie too.

-Running on a Mac, and updated kJams Pro to the latest version already.

dave
Site Admin

Re: kJams Pro>Exporting to Quicktime

Post by dave »

this is normal. if you want it to be larger, you're only stretching pixels, which will pixelate your image.

http://karaoke.kjams.com/wiki/Jagged_Graphics

if you require a larger size just resize it in QuickTime Player

thiencao87

Post by thiencao87 »

Well I was hoping to just drag all the m4v or mp4 formats into iTunes to play it over the air via Apple TV for some quick karaoke now and then after I get bored of Netflix :p

Do you know of any program that will give it the best text quality and give it some empty border to give it the nice look with high resolution (pixels)?
I just don't want to deal with stretched image on the screen since it looks horrid.

If not, I'll just Google around or use Fraps all day lol :P

Thanks for the reply.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

i think you're not getting it.

there is no program that will make karaoke look good when stretched out, because they are ALL starting from 300 x 216 data. that's it. end of story.

export your videos using the "Apple TV" compressor and put them in your iTunes, and just come to terms with the fact that karaoke was designed to stream off of a CD at 2 kps, and that it is blocky. did you click the link above? that explains it pretty clearly.

if you want an empty border click "pad border" in the export prefs. but this really won't make it much better.

if you simply can't deal with the stretched image, what you're saying is that you can't deal with CD+G karaoke. so you'll have to go to LaserDisc or DVD or VCD, and completely abandon CD+G.

what is "Fraps" ?

thiencao87

Post by thiencao87 »

Eh I was just wondering man.

As for Fraps, it's a video "screen" recorder that records anything on the screen. Since I have my monitor pretty much on 1080p on my desktop, I would use Fraps to record the video screen from KaraFun and voila nice big quality. And since it's usually just 3-4 colors, it's a fairly small file. I recorded Wonder Girls - Nobody like that but used 1024x768 (I think that's the resolution...).

Don't know if I could post links here but here's the Fraps website: http://www.fraps.com/

I think there are tons of other free alternative choices. The only problem is having to sit there and stop the recording yourself. Rinse and repeat. It gets very tedious with a lot of files if you know what I mean.

Well sorry to bother ya man. I hope this helps somebody that needs a video file out of their karaoke files.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Oh, well, now i have new information. You're using KAR files, not CDG files. kJams can play KAR files too but yes at full screen they're a bit jaggy, but that is something that CAN be fixed!!

to get the most creamy smooth text with kJams you can use LRC, TunePrompter or UltraStar (SingStar) files. and when you export them to a movie you get very nice looking text.
kjams can export video from the above types plus CDG but i do not think it will work for KAR files.

so, are you playing KAR files in kJams? and not CDG files?

thiencao87

Post by thiencao87 »

KaraFun plays CDG+MP3 files too :] Er, I think the Karaoke Techie calls them, MP3+G. I just point the directory of the folder and I guess KaraFun automatically includes the MP3 file while it plays.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

so are you saying that karafun can zoom the CDG video to big and it looks all smooth? can you email me a screenshot of that?

thiencao87

Post by thiencao87 »

Alright gimme a bit gonna have Fraps display the frame rate thing (that you can toggle off but for screenshot purposes) on the KaraFun Video display. And final product :] Brb.

**Sent, I have to go to sleep for classes in the morning. Hope the pictures went through, iChat sometimes ditches pictures for some odd reason. If they didn't go through, I will upload it to my server or Photobucket personally.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

after some back and forth i think we concluded that kJams actually does what he wanted (export to movies, play movies thru iTunes to AppleTV).

the only other wish was that it would convert "nearly black" to "pure black", but kJams doesn't mess with the signal, the CDG was encoded that way by the manufacturer to conform to the CCIR601 standard
In each 8 bit luminance sample, the value 16 is used for black and 235 for white, to allow for overshoot and undershoot. The values 0 and 255 are used for sync encoding
Having said that, when i complete the "transparency" feature, you can put something pure black behind it and get that effect.

htordeux

Post by htordeux »

Hello, I am from france, just bought kjams pro, purpose to convert in mp4 all my cdg
I am playing on ipad...

Sorry to dig out an old question about karafun.
do you think it 'll be possible to read kfn with kjams or better to convert them in mp4.
i am not fully satisfied with the conversion in avi with karafun pro( I've installed codecs xvid and h264 vfw)

a man have done a reverse engineering of kfn file maybe it can help

http://www.ulduzsoft.com/2012/10/revers ... ncryption/

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

well that's awesome. i'm not doing features right now, and it will be a while before i get back to that. but i'll add this to the list. not i do not get many requests for KaraFun support.