Best sites for downloadable CDG's

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
mactechinfo

Best sites for downloadable CDG's

Post by mactechinfo »

I notice from other threads that the cavsusa site's "CDG'S" are really MCGS. Does anyone have suggestions for sites that have large numbers of downloadable CDG's for use with kJams? Whilst it has been easy for me to locate companies on the web who sell CDG discs, it has been harder to find ones who allow the download and purchase of individual tracks.

With thanks in anticipation,

Philip

blucaso

Not much out there

Post by blucaso »

Yeah, the basic reality is that the big (and better quality) companies do not want to sell individual songs a la carte.

There are now a few of the Karaoke companies that sell customized discs where you can assemble your tracks and have them custom-burn it for you. But the cost is generally very high. Usually $3-5 per track, and usually a blanket fee per disc (about $7) - so you'll end up with a $40 or $50 disc, easily.

Now if you are picking out several songs that are important to you, and that are on discs loaded with songs you don't want or need, then this might be a cost-effective alternative.

But most companies (especially the big boys, like Sound Choice) are perfectly happy packaging the content the way they see fit, and making their money on the whole disc.

dave
Site Admin

downloads

Post by dave »

This is what i've got:
http://www.kjams.com/wiki/FAQ#Where_can ... ad_karaoke

What I've seen with CAVs and verified is that yes you get an MCG with the download but they also give you the CDG, so you get 3 files. This works just fine with kJams.

-dave

blucaso

Test file

Post by blucaso »

You don't even have to take Dave's word for it, test the CAVs site out yourself - at the top of the page is a sample file (Jingle Bells). It's a short download.

Just download the file, open KJams, and add the downloaded file into your library. It plays just fine. You don't even need to unzip it! So KJams just ignores the MCG content and uses the MP3 + the CDG text.

As to the quality of their tracks, "Jingle Bells" isn't much to go on, plus the copyright date says 2000, so it's probably one of their older tracks too. So I would suggest ordering a couple of songs you know well first, to see how they sound to you.

mactechinfo

Post by mactechinfo »

Thanks to everyone for their assistance.

I did download the sample song and it ignored the mcg and loaded as was suggested.

Probably a good idea to add to the MCG question/answer in the FAQ to clarify that CAVS files can still be purchased because they include the CDG as well.