cross fader question

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
franks

cross fader question

Post by franks »

Is the kJams/iTunes cross fader supposed to operate continuously in the background??

If it is, then I must be doing something wrong.

it seems that I have to launch the fader manually before & after each song.

Brendan

Re: cross fader question

Post by Brendan »

Try the updated Autocrossfade, i think this is what you are looking for new_iTunes_Crossfader. I also recommend reading the "Setting Volume Control"

waynegfx

Post by waynegfx »

I am having trouble pasting the code into Terminal. Where does the code start? I started it at tell application "iTunes
Is that correct? I am new to all of this and I am starting a show tonight. Thanks Wayne

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

you use AppleScript editor for that, it's not for the terminal.

waynegfx

Post by waynegfx »

Dave, I used Apple Script, but the song in itunes came on and when a song was selected in kJams, it didn't fade into it. What did I do wrong this time?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

What we need here is a God from the Machine....

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Sorry, cape got stuck in the phone booth. :)
There are two scripts in question here that I posted revisions to, the crossFade script, which must be triggered manually, and the surprisingly named "autoCrossFade" which, oddly enough, does the crossfade automatically. Go figure!
If you need to always crossfade between iTunes and kJams, just launch the autoCrossFade script. Once launched, it should run in the background, and "just work."

Part of the confusion is that there is also a terminal script floating around that does the same thing, written in Python, IIRC. I didn't really have the time or inclination to hack my way through that to figure out its details, so I can't say very much about that. The confusion, I think, stems from the fact that someone (cough) edited the wiki for the manual crossfade code I posted, and provided a link to the "older version" for context, but the link was to the Python script.

Anyway, here is the link to the Applescript version of the autoCrossFade script I posted, based on the original script from oss, and the modified script by aantix, with a bunch of control logic stripped out, and new control logic grafted on, at the request of someone here in the forums.

http://karaoke.kjams.com/wiki/Code/new_ ... Crossfader

waynegfx

Post by waynegfx »

Glad you got your cape out of the phone booth, wow,,It actually works, I am using a playlist from Glee. I am so glad, the show is tonight and I am actually ready thanks to kJams. The only thing I can't get done for tonight is my logo in producer. Thanks so much, Wayne

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Yeah, it's kinda fun watching the sliders automagically move!
If you need some help with Producer, let me know. I kinda know my way around that territory by now.

waynegfx

Post by waynegfx »

My show last night was an experience. I absolutely love kJams, but had a few small problems and hope I can get some help. The names of the next 3 singers is moving too fast and the text is not solid. The owner of the club asked me to slow it down and make it more visible. How is that accomplished?
Also, I had multiple times that the screen did not display lyrics, only a black screen. I had to reboot kJams to retrieve the lyrics on the same song I had tried previously. If anyone has had the same problems, please tell me how to fix these small issues, because I am in love with kJams. Wayne

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Wayne,
The scrolling next singers text is currently at a fixed speed. Personally, I think it is kinda slow, but I don't rely on it too much anyway. Instead I use a rotation screen that stays up between songs. One is built in to kJams, or you can make your own with the free version of Producer, that comes with kJams. Just follow along on the Tutorial and you can make one yourself, complete with your company logo, the bar's logo, promotions, and any thing else that might impress your clients.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

I have heard about this bug several times now, about the video screen going black and not showing lyrics any more. However, nobody has been able to tell me HOW they got kJams into this state. I can't fix a bug that i can't see, and try as i might i've been unable to cause kJams to do this. So until somebody comes up with a recipe list of steps that i can take, such that if i follow them exactly i will see this bug, then i can't fix the bug. sure sometimes i can just read thru some of the code and mentally discover the bug via code review, but that is miraculously finding a needle in a haystack. if you want this bug nailed, then really pay attention to EXACTLY what was going on when it first occurred.

the horzontal scrolly text is fixed right now, i'll be adding more options eventually. yours is the first request for such (out of thousands), so you understand where it goes in terms of priority.

waynegfx

Post by waynegfx »

Dave, I don't know exactly what happens before the screen goes black. I do remember when I start a new song while one is playing, it asks (Do you want to interupt the current song?) and I continue, then it makes the lyrics disappear. That could be the reason, I am now stopping the current song and have not had the problem, so maybe I figured it out. Thanks for all your amazing help, Wayne

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

ok i'll try to repro it. if you can MAKE it happen that would be the best.

Karanight

Post by Karanight »

I've had the black screen on occasion.
It happens every blue moon and there's seems to be no rhyme nor reason as to why it happens. Normally when a track's finished and I click to the next song (I very rarely play background music between tracks) then I call the next singer up and then hit the que button to restart the track. The only time I've had the black screen is when I've hit the que button several times (I do this to wind some singers up) To get the words back on the screen I simply stop the track and hit the space bar to re-start. I've put the problem down to me pushing the limits with the que button or kJams getting it's own back for my winding the singers up, but I suppose it is a bug. Having said that, I can hit the que button lots of time and most of the time I don't have a problem.

Something else, It usually happens with the same singer,and I can normally guarantee that when I have problems with a singer more than once in the night, when I open kJams for the next session (the next night) that singers file has been lost. whenever I have any kind of problem It always happens with just one singer There's only one time that I've had to shut kJams and re-open to get the screen back, and when that happened I hadn't updated to the newest version so didn't report it.

The next time it happens I'll write as detailed report as I can but in the meantime I hope this helps
Posted by Len of LensKaraoke fame

Web site at
http://lenskaraoke.com