cross fader question

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
DeusExMachina

Re: cross fader question

Post by DeusExMachina »

I think this may be two separate, unrelated problems. The current issue cropped up in the latest two releases. Prior to that, there was a bug I FINALLY tracked down that caused the video screen to freeze up. For me it was always on the rotation screen. What I finally determined is that if, as the song is transitioning, but the next song has only unpacked less than about 5%, you hit play, the MP3 would play, but the video would lock. As you said, this is solvable readily, either by toggling the rotation screen (in my case) or hitting play/pause, as you have found. Basically, anything that forces a video refresh. FTR, this bug has not been FIXED!
This new bug, however, is a bit more insidious. It can not be fixed by just hitting the transport controls or refreshing the video. Instead, as reported, a total relaunch is necessary, at least so far as I have found. I have yet to repro reliably, as it has only happened to me twice, while I was live, and I have other priorities, so I have been unable to get detailed info to Dave.
That said, one thing that might be tried is, if it happened, QUICKLY launch Activity Monitor from the Utilities Folder, and then select kJams, and then hit the sample button. Copy the resulting code snippets, alone with crash code into an e-mail message and send it along to Dave.
Last edited by DeusExMachina on Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

yes, that would GREATLY help me track this bug, i really want to fix this! thanks.

Sedge

Post by Sedge »

The only recent time that it has happened to me was when I was trying to do something ridiculous - a singer wanted to sing the first 1/3 of a particular song, then cut to a different song and finish with it. I was working in the dark (late evening outdoor barbecue) and panicked kJams a bit - I know I tried to stop the song, but probably only paused it, and when I tried to pull up the second song, I had no lyrics. I did get the warning about such, so I wasn't horribly surprised when I broke something. I already had some filler instrumental music set up to cover the awkward changeover, so I just cut back to that and rebooted kJams and got the song playing again with lyrics. Luckily for me, everyone was already having a great time and socially lubricated enough to be forgiving - and the guy knew he was asking for something outside of the normal bounds. I was in Rotation when I stopped (or paused) the song, and had to break Rotation to get the second song playing.

Looking back there were things I could have done differently, and this type of thing would happen rarely enough that it's barely worth mentioning, but if it helps your needle hunt, there's my description.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

thanks. i'm still looking.