Seemingly having a problem with "pushing" metadata

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
rmanke

Seemingly having a problem with "pushing" metadata

Post by rmanke »

Every time I start kJams Pro, the program starts "Pushing metadata" and rezipping over a thousand files.

A couple times, I have let it complete, and then quit and restarted the program, and it starts up doing a bunch again...

Is this an issue, or is it doing this in batches?

dave
Site Admin

:)

Post by dave »

hold shift on startup

what's going on is you didn't ever let it finish. you must have instructed kJams to interpret names or you edited a lot of meta data, and this data needs to be saved. if you didn't do the above then i'd like to know exactly what you DID do because then this is a bug and i need to FIX it <robot>must fix all bugs</robot>

this is so obviously covered in the "Did you know?" section. Where should I put that tidbit of information where you would think to look for it?

rmanke

Post by rmanke »

Yes, I read the tips... I did make a lot of changes to the metadata, because I was reorganizing my library from "last name, first name" to "first name last name".

This caused most of the files to need to be updated, but the problem is that it keeps pushing the metadata each time, even though I let it finish.

I don't want it to forever skip pushing the metadata, I just want it to realize that the stuff that has been updated, has well, been "pushed".

The mistake I may have made, is while I am waiting, I am updating a couple files here and there, and it may be confusing the metadata pusher?

I am trying it one more time... I will leave it alone, and won't change anything until it is completely done, and see what happens...

Thanks so much for your help and interest..

rmanke

Post by rmanke »

OK, I tried it one more time. This time, I didn't do anything while it was pushing the metadata. Once it finished, I quit the program, and restarted it, and it started pushing metadata to the exact same number of files (1733).

So, I stopped it, quit, and restarted kJams while holding down the shift key.

Now, it doesn't update. Is there a way to selectively update metadata, or is it a problem to not update metadata at all?

Thanks for your help.

dave
Site Admin

hmmm

Post by dave »

According to what you say, this is a bug. i will investigate. obviously it should only push once.

Mithindril

Pushing metadata

Post by Mithindril »

I was pushing file names yesterday and it wouldn't work. I found there was one link that was broken and once it was fixed, the push worked perfectly.

I would suggest you check your library and then it should complete properly.

There was no error that I found, kJams Pro looked like it completed each time I tried.

dave
Site Admin

:)

Post by dave »

kJams will now warn you once if anything goes wrong during a push. It will not warn again within five minutes. Also, it will create a playlist called "* Songs Not Renamed" which will include all the songs that failed. After the push completes, look in that playlist for the list of songs that failed. If you want details on why each song did not work, select all and push that list again, and look in the log file.