Midi music

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
Brendan

Midi music

Post by Brendan »

I am trying to rip some midi files into Kjams but it is not working for me. Do i have to do it differently than CDG's? Midi files are on my computer. Cheers

dave
Site Admin

?

Post by dave »

"Rip"? rip means reading bits from an audio CD or DVD and converting them into audio waveform files or quicktime movies on your computer's hard drive.

i think what you want to do is "Add To Library…" which works perfectly well with midi files (type .mid, type .midi, type .kar)

what exactly are you doing?

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

What i was trying to do was drag and drop midi files from my desktop into a playlist in Kjams. These files are .mid Quick time player plays them but they will not drop into Kjams.

dave
Site Admin

oh

Post by dave »

drag and drop is not done yet
use File->Add To Library

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Ahh, so easy when you do it the right way. It plays now but i do not see any video, just a black screen.

dave
Site Admin

quicktime

Post by dave »

kJams uses QuickTime to play the video of KAR files. If QuickTime Player can play them, then kJams can play them. Does it play in QuickTime Player? Note: QMidi actually parses out the kar files directly, bypassing quicktime i think, so it can play some strange files that QuickTime can't play.

-dave

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Yes , Quicktime plays the audio but does not show video. video controls are grayed out. I played them from my windows machine via Van Basco player and they worked fine. Kjams also plays the audio but not the video. Any suggestions ? Cheers

dave
Site Admin

:)

Post by dave »

Any suggestions
as i said, if quicktime sees it so will kJams. put another way, if QuickTime does NOT see it, nor will kJams. that's sortof the end of the story. at least until i completely re-write the handling of KAR files, which is not going to happen soon, sadly.

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Got ya, okay, for now i will stick to CDG. Thanks for your help. Cheers!

Nik
Site Admin

Post by Nik »

Any suggestions?
One thing you might try is looking around the internet to see if someone's written a QuickTime plugin for that codec.

Follow-up: So, I did a little looking into the .kar file format, and I think the video component might actually be AVI. I have AVI codecs installed on my machine, so I went and downloaded a sample .kar file and tried it out. Sure enough, it plays with video in QuickTime Player, as well as in kJams.

I think the 3ivx components should do the trick. Plus it's free; they only charge for their super-duper MP4 decoder.

_Nik

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Acutally a KAR file is a MIDI file with a text stream, actual text, not bitmapped graphics. QuickTime WILL play probably 80% of KAR files that are out there. You just happen to be running into the smaller percentage of KAR files that QuickTime won't play.

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

These are actually .mid files not kar files

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

well, if it has lyrics on the screen (in QMidi) then it is really a kar file that is mis-labeled as a midi file. tho the label doesn't *really* mean anything. you could label it kar if it's midi, or label it midi if it's kar. the "convention" is that if there are lyrics in the file, then call it .kar, else .mid

-dave

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Thanks for the info.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

8)