Microphone support

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
Brendan

Microphone support

Post by Brendan »

I have an Acesonic Dual wireless microphone system that i currently use and plug in directly to my Karaoke player(stereo system). How do i know if this microphone is pre amped? Can i just buy the adapter and plug it into my imac then run a line into my stereo(audio/Video) to play through my entertainment system like my current setup? Thanks for the help.

dave
Site Admin

:)

Post by dave »

How do i know if this microphone is pre amped?
It is because it is a standalone mic *system*.

a non-pre-amped mic is just a microphone all by itself, not plugged into anything.

if your mic goes to a box, then your box plugs into a mixer (or your computer) then it is pre-amped.
Can i just buy the adapter and plug it into my imac
yes
then run a line into my stereo
yep! that's just what I do :)

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

I'm trying to hook up my mic to my laptop, then into my stereo. Coming out of my mic, i have a 1/4" jack(3 actually), i connected to a female adapter to 1/8" jack which i plug into my input on my macbook. Only one mic is working at this time. Then on the output, i use the headphone jack output that splits into RCA's which i connect to my stereo. Is there a better way to hook it up so i can improve the sound quality? I'm only getting sound from two speakers, where as before on my component player sound was coming from all my speakers. Other than that it works great. I am really impressed with this Software. Can't wait to be able to burn all my music into it. Thanks

edernest

stereo on mac

Post by edernest »

RCA cables (and audio CD's) are stereo, so it would be up to your receiver to distribute the sound to the other speakers. One way that you could improve sound quality would be to use your Macbook's optical output instead of standard 1/8" to RCA you have now, assuming your audio receiver can accept an optical input. You would need a cable with 1/8" optical on one end to plug into your laptop (many optical cables come with an adapter to do this).

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

I"ll try the optical connection, i do have an optical input on my stereo. I just cant understand why i'm getting sound from only two speakers. Thanks for the feedback.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

If your Amp is like mine, then set it for "5 Channel Stereo" rather than "Dolby".

After you hook up the optical output, then Dolby will work when watching DVDs.. :)

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Dave, are you saying i do not need an optical cable? or will switching to 5 channel do the job? Thanks

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

no, use your optical cable, and set it for 5 channel unless you're watching a DVD, then set it to Dolby

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Switched to 5 channel, it sounds great now! Thank you sir

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Only one mic still works, do i need to plug another jack from my mic? I have three outputs

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

i don't have enough information to help you. i have no idea what your mixer is like. does it mix all your mics into one stereo track? or does it put mic 1 into channel 1 and mic 2 into channel 2 of one stereo pair? or what?

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

I have three outputs from my mic box. A balanced a and balanced b. I also have one A.F mix output. I have the Balanced outputs going to my VCD player and the mix out going to my CDG player. I can play either machine and both mics work. I tried to hook both the mix out and one of the balanced outs to my i book. Only one is working. Thanks

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

balanced a and balanced b, one A.F mix output
are these XLR type connectors? RCA type? Phono-Jack type? mini-stereo? or what?

i'm really a software guy and i can't actually SEE what you're talking about. a photo of all the jacks and a diagram of how they're wired together would go a very long way to solving your problem.

-dave