Virtual display driver?

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
edernest

Virtual display driver?

Post by edernest »

My setup consists of a MacMini connected to a flatpanel display. I want to take advantage of kJam's ability to full screen CDG video on the display, while controlling kJam's playback remotely on the network using Apple Remote Desktop (Apple's VNC based screen sharing client). ARD is capable of allowing you to connect to a specific display in the case that your system had multiple display adapters, but alas, the MacMini does not.

Has anyone run across a "virtual video driver" for the Mac? I would not need to connect a monitor up to it at all, I'd just like the OS to believe there is another monitor and allow me to connect to it via ARD. I've also tried searching for external video adapters (one that I could plug in and not hook anything up to), but that trail is also cold. Thanks in advance for any advice.

dave
Site Admin

what a great idea!

Post by dave »

that would kick a seriously huge amount of butt!! Please let me know what you find!

-dave

edernest

One solution

Post by edernest »

My hope in posting here would be to find someone that had found exactly what I was describing. Outside of that, I may have found one possible solution in ScreenRecycler:

http://www.screenrecycler.com/

This app is meant to create a virtual display on your system, and then share it via VNC on a spare machine which would then act as a remote dumb terminal. This is more than I need, since I already have a VNC server (Apple's built in screen sharing), but it seems to do the job.

I downloaded the app and installed the driver, which requires a reboot. I then started the ScreenRecycler app and modified the pref to run on port 6900 (ARD is already running on 5900). I then launched the included client, JollysFastVNC, which will then autoconnect to the server running on localhost. From what I can tell, the server app won't enable the virtual display driver until it sees a client, and it doesn't care if that client is on the local machine. Once both the client and server app are running, I then minimized and hid the applications and connected to the server remotely via ARD 3.2, which gives me the choice of seeing all screens or selecting one in particular. Perfect!

I *could* also install ScreenRecycler server on my laptop and just launch the client on the MacMini. That would be closer to the original intended use of the application, but it would require that I keep my kJams library on my laptop. I would also run the risk of introducing latency in a situation where latency should be avoided (word highlighting delay = very noticable).

dave
Site Admin

:)

Post by dave »

neat!