PHP/MySQL database

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
dancingdjdave

PHP/MySQL database

Post by dancingdjdave »

Hi, I'm David

I am going to be purchasing KJam pro very soon. I have previously used Sax & Dotty's as well as karafun 2. Neither system allowed singers to sign up from their phones, which is something I'm particularly interested in and was one of the biggest selling points for me. I ultimately chose KJams over CompHost because ease of use. I did like how their system was set up for playlists in between, but being that my show runs mostly mp4 videos inbetween singers and their system didn't play any form of video etc unless it was in the karaoke rotation, I still have to use another player either way. At any rate, I have created a rather detailed website that has been tracking my singer's song choices, allows them to add songs to a "want to try" list, rate their performance and give detailed song suggestions based on data entry formulas I created. What I want to do is, upon the purchase of KJam, is allow my singers to use the same username/password combinations they use to log in to my website to log in to their kjams so that they don't have to set up a separate account for my player from the one they use on my website. It's not a huge ordeal if they can't, it'd just be really nice if they didn't have to. I know that it's highly unlikely I can set up the KJam player to automatically track what singers sing in my existing system and that I'll have to continue manually entering such data, but I was wondering if it is possible to set up my KJams and/or website to where the passwords and usernames that already exist from my users will work on both the KJam player I am going to purchase and the website. My website is programmed primarily in php and uses a MySQL database.

dave
Site Admin

Re: PHP/MySQL database

Post by dave »

it probably wouldn't be difficult to bulk-import a CSV file that had singer names / passwords. is that all you're looking for?

however, getting their song choice histories could prove difficult.

let me know

dancingdjdave

Post by dancingdjdave »

dave wrote:it probably wouldn't be difficult to bulk-import a CSV file that had singer names / passwords. is that all you're looking for?

however, getting their song choice histories could prove difficult.

let me know
I could certainly try that. Yeah the song histories, especially since there are so many versions of different songs and the database doesn't separate who likes what version, or which files go with which songs (with manual entry I've never taken time to do that-and now the database is big enough to make that quite an undertaking) I think I will try the CSV route and see what happens.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

okay so create a CSV file that is "singer name,password" per line, in UTF8 encoding
i'll write an importer for you, and give you a rogue build

later: okay i have the rogue ready but need to know which one to build:
so: do you need "kJams Pro for Windows"? or what?

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

FTR, wouldn't this have been relatively easy by just adding an "add/import singer" function to the scripting engine? Then the O.P. could have written it himself for whatever platform he is using (and even posted it in code).
Possibly same with playlists. Have an "add to Singer history" function scriptable, and let the scripter worry about getting the format of the data in line with kJams.
They could do much of the heavy lifting in Finder/Windows Explorer control.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

it was actually easier for me to write it in code. so i wrote it. but then the guy never got back to me.
adding the playlist would be challenging, you'd have to look up each song by name and once found, add that. but possible, yes

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

I was just talking about the adding of singers to the venue, so that their username and password were preserved from his web site.
An add/import singer function in scripting would then allow the O.P. to create that singer, using the name field in his db, assign it a password using the password field, and then loop to the next record.
He had already accepted the fact that he was not going to easily get an import of their History list.
But if you already wrote that, too, that completes his desired function. Making the import a script does have the added benefit of reducing clutter from the File menu IMO.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

I was just talking about the adding of singers to the venue, so that their username and password were preserved from his web site.
yes, that's the code i wrote. you can import a CSV file for that now.
there is no extra file menu thing, just hold alt/option when picking "add to library"