Possible bug - cannot quit. CONFIRMED!

Feel free to post bug reports here. I need exact, detailed steps showing me how I can re-create the bug on my machine, so give as much info and detail as possible.
Sedge

Possible bug - cannot quit. CONFIRMED!

Post by Sedge »

upgraded to new version, now I can't close the app. Tried Command Q, File menu option, and context menu on dock alias. Looks like it's going to be a Force Quit.

However, I think I was able to close it successfully a time or two after upgrade, so I don't think it's an absolute problem with the new version.
Further, I was doing weird things with video, turning "Take Photos" on and off - and running other camera controlling programs at the same time. So, I would guess it's mostly due to this.

As it's not reproduced, this is not yet an official bug. This is more of a note for me to add to later on.

But here's something I need to fix (from Console - I no longer use any rogue amoeba software, so no mystery as to why it doesn't exist)

10/29/09 10:48:24 PM defaults[1740]
The domain/default pair of (com.rogueamoeba.Airfoil, speakerLatency) does not exist
10/29/09 10:48:24 PM defaults[1740]
The domain/default pair of (com.rogueamoeba.Airfoil, speakerLatency) does not exist
10/29/09 10:48:24 PM [0x0-0xe90e9].com.kjams.kjams[1663] 2009-10-29 22:48:24.124 defaults[1740:717]
10/29/09 10:48:24 PM [0x0-0xe90e9].com.kjams.kjams[1663] The domain/default pair of (com.rogueamoeba.Airfoil, speakerLatency) does not exist
10/29/09 10:48:24 PM [0x0-0xe90e9].com.kjams.kjams[1663] The domain/default pair of (com.rogueamoeba.Airfoil, speakerLatency) does not exist

>>Sedge
Last edited by Sedge on Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dave
Site Admin

Re: Possible bug - cannot quit.

Post by dave »

you'll get that message always, when you don't have AirFoil installed. i look for it on startup to get it's default speaker latency. it's normal for it to say it could not find it, it is harmless.

Sedge

Post by Sedge »

Ok, not quitting error happened again - I think it has something to do with the having a second kjams window open check. I noticed when I upgraded to r35, it wouldn't let the upgrade process normally, and forced me to quit the new version. Perhaps I should explain...

Normally, on an upgrade I:

Open kJams from the dock. (kJams is in my Applications folder with everything else)
kJams fires up, announces newer version, if I should get it.
New version downloads.
kJams quits,
kJams starts new version, producing a new kJams icon on the right side of the dock (signifying it is not the current version firing up from Applications?)
I generally choose to close this new instance, because in the past, it has come up lacking my library, or venue, or singers, etc...
I reopen kJams from the Dock, which is now the new version, with everything intact.

On upgrade to r35, the download happened, but when the new version fired up, it threw a warning or error about having two instances open, I think, and shut back down. I then reopened kJams from the Dock, and all was well, I think. I thought it was a funny thing to get an error during a routine upgrade process, but didn't think to report it.

Now, I don't think this was at the same instance that wouldn't close, but it's possible.

So, on to today...

I manually downloaded a version from your downloads page, to see if it was r36 (r36 is unavailable from the changelog page, probably due to unresolved crashers)

In the process of opening the package to see the Info.plist file to see if it was r36, I accidentally opened the application, while my current r35 build was still running (after I opened it to confirm if graphics were flipping out still without messing with the 'Take Photos' option, and to make sure my custom screens were still out of alignment) - This produced the following error: You can't run more than one copy of kJams at once! - with a second kJams icon on the right side of the Dock. Clicking "OK" on this error closes the second instance of kJams, removes the second Dock icon, but when I went back to the fully open instance of kJams to close it, I couldn't.

So, yes, this may be a bug.

Here's some steps to reproduce:
1. Open kJams
2. open kJams app again, perhaps from a different application location (outside of Applications folder)
3. Click OK on error message
4. try to close first instance of kJams

5 - expected result - first instance of kJams closes
5b - actual result - unable to close first instance of kJams without force quit.

Second related bug steps:
1. Open kJams
2. receive update notification
3. choose to download app
4. app downloads, opens.
5. - actual result: receive error (You can't run more than one copy of kJams at once!)
5b - expected result: first instance of kJams closes completely, new instance of updated kJams opens without error.

I think this has something to do with a PID getting overwritten, or something similar, where process/threads from original version are getting overwritten before the error can display, rendering the initial instance orphaned. As updates don't happen every day, I can't easily replicate the second bug, but I will replicate the first one, to make sure the steps work as stated.

Bug importance: Medium
(This is likely to be encountered during normal application operation, especially the second bug, but is easy enough to work around with a force quit and restart of application.)

Ho Ho, I thought I would never be lucky enough to replicate this when I first posted it!

Sedge

Post by Sedge »

Ok, steps as above need a little modification. I missed a critical step, that makes this a little harder to replicate.

It appears I need to open the "About kJams" window in order to screw things up.

So, steps:

1. Open kJams
2. File > About kJams (opens in video window)
3. open second instance of kJams
4. click OK on error
5. Cannot quit first instance.

(Step 4 is not necessary - I can't quit first instance even if I haven't clicked on the error)

Sedge

Re: Possible bug - cannot quit. CONFIRMED!

Post by Sedge »

Side note - disabling Core Graphics does make it so that the "About kJams" stuff doesn't appear in the video window, but does not effect the ability (or lack thereof) to close kJams after attempting to open a second instance.

dave
Site Admin

Re: Possible bug - cannot quit. CONFIRMED!

Post by dave »

btw: i think this was fixed a long time ago