Rotation skips songs

Feel free to post bug reports here. I need exact, detailed steps showing me how I can re-create the bug on my machine, so give as much info and detail as possible.
Sedge

Rotation skips songs

Post by Sedge »

Is there any reason why a song would get skipped while the rotation was playing?

Steps to re-create:
have a rotation - multiple singers with songs added.
a singer finishes a song, next song begins to load (pause between tracks is selected)
instead of the next singer/song, the following singer/song is selected/loaded.

It seems to be particular to certain tracks, perhaps even certain singers. I can load/play the songs fine on their own.

>>Sedge

Karanight

Re: Rotation skips songs

Post by Karanight »

This is something that happens to me from time to time but I can't reproduce at will. It happened last night.
Singer 1 had finished
Singer 2 should have played next, but
Singer 3 played.
If at this stage I click back to play singer 2 I actually get Singer 1's next track, then if I click forward I get singer 3. I can click back and too but singer 2 won't play. The only way I can get singer 2 to play is to double click singer 2 whilst singer 1 is playing.
I've had this problem in the past but never been able to find a way to guarantee to reproduce this so I've lived with it rather than report it again. I did report it here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=381&p=1994#p1994 and I thought I got rid of the problem but it does come back to haunt my from time to time.

We need someone to be able to reproduce this at will so it can be fixed, I know I can't.
Posted by Len of LensKaraoke fame

Web site at
http://lenskaraoke.com

Sedge

Post by Sedge »

I will try to reproduce it. I know one track in my personal playlist has done it several times in a row that I've put it up, and another track or two did the same at a show Wed night. It's happened on a couple other's lists too, so I will try with mine and theirs. I documented the tracks that failed last week, so I can try to pull them up again.

- Sedge

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

please create a rotation such that you can reproduce the problem 100% of the time. then send me that list of songs and your "kJams Library" folder and i'll fix it.
to send me large files (songs) please use my FTP folder

Sedge

Post by Sedge »

I just tried to artificially re-create the issue, with no luck (wouldn't you know).

I think what I will try doing is waiting until it happens again, and instead of panicking to get the track playing, I'll jump into Finder and make a copy of the kJams library folder. Then, after I come home, I'll try loading kJams with the copy, and try to reproduce it that way. If I can get it to reproduce (and I figure this is as close to a stateful save as I can get) - I'll try and set an appt with you, or do some wild uploading. My music now resides under [my user]/Karaoke/[Manufacturer] so even that will end up being easy to reproduce on your end, if we end up doing the ftp.

- Sedge

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

okay thanks, please let me know, i have been unable to reproduce this!

-dave

Sedge

Post by Sedge »

t happened again last night, and I managed to immediately save off the kJams library folder. I'll try to test it and zip everything up and get it to you in a few hours.

Hopefully it will reproduce from the saved-off library folder.

- Sedge

Sedge

Post by Sedge »

Ok, tried your FTP alias - errors to Connection Failed: The server may not exist or it is not operational at this time. The problem could be on my end - I'm using the public library network.

In any event, I have uploaded a zip file of everything to the net, it is available here.

It's ~32MB zipped, library and 4 song files. There's a ReadMe for to help you reproduce the issue.

Best of luck with this. (Oh, and you can move this to Bug Reports, I guess)

>>Sedge

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

wow. that's the most complete and awesome bug report i've ever seen.

thank you! I will look at this tonight after the new release.

Update: Okay i fixed it, thanks for that EXCELLENT report!

Sedge

Post by Sedge »

Sweet! Len & I will be so happy! Is there any way for us to artificially produce the conditions that caused the bug, for testing? I was only able to "reproduce" it live, by chance, then save the results - so no idea how to actually make it happen.

Oh, and is the fix wrapped in to r26, or are we waiting for r27?

>>Sedge

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

you're waiting for 27 unless you need it right now.

the problem happens when the last singer in the rotation has zero songs left, yet they're still listed in the rotation, and the first singer ran out of songs (had zero) but one was added or maybe their last song was skipped? hard to say exactly.

Sedge

Post by Sedge »

Ok, I can see where that would produce results - I assume by last singer/first singer, you mean in the "KJ Rotation" static list. Would this then mean that at any given time, only the first singer in that list should be affected?

as in:
(Sample steps to reproduce)
create rotation of three people, each with two songs.
play rotation through once (now each singer has one song)
add song to singer #2 (now has 2 songs)
remove song from singer #3 (now has 0 songs)
play song for singer #1 (after play, has 0 song)
Play song for singer #2
During play, add song for singer #1 (had 0, now has 1 song)
after play, with bug, rotation will skip back to singer #2?
regardless of adds/removes/new singers (assuming singers are not moved to position 1(0?) on KJ Rotation, singer #1's songs will be skipped.

I think this is what you meant. As the bug is still in r26, I'm going to try and duplicate it.

>>Sedge

Sedge

Post by Sedge »

Tried this, failed to reproduce. Thinking through this, perhaps is it the last singer in the list to be affected instead of the first? If the first and last have no songs, and the last adds a song, would it be skipped?

I'm thinking this because I have often been the one skipped, and as host, I tend to put myself off to the end of the KJ Rotation list, or at least start myself at the end of it, letting others sing in front of me (if I bother actually singing at all - I only do it if we need some filler on a slow night, or if someone requests me to sing)

>> Sedge
(who should just be taking your word for it that it is fixed, and waiting while sitting on hands like everyone else - or buying stuff from new store!)

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

you're thinking way too hard. it has been fixed. relax.