help - crashing every time trying to play

Feel free to post bug reports here. I need exact, detailed steps showing me how I can re-create the bug on my machine, so give as much info and detail as possible.
golly

help - crashing every time trying to play

Post by golly »

crashing every time I attempt to play in song in kJams Lite. I have tried tossing the Library, moving the music, removing preferences ... nothing. always crashes when I try to play. can the application itself become corrupted?

golly

Post by golly »

okay, i've tried I'm running kJams Lite from my other PowerBook. It opens and plays fine. However on the 1st PowerBook, I cannot even play one song in kJams without getting an unexpectedly quit alert. I have deleted the library, moving songs in and out of the kJams music folder. I have tried re-downloading the application. Clearing the cache, etc. I'm lost as to what to do now.

I had loaded about 24 karaoke discs and checked playback every once and awhile. Then I tried to see if I could get kJams to play normal iTunes music, and I must've done something to corrupt some file somewhere but i can't seem to delete anything to make a difference.

Please help!

dave
Site Admin

crashing

Post by dave »

please send me the log file AND crash report, thanks.

http://www.kjams.com/wiki/Logs

-dave

golly

Post by golly »

Can you just tell me all the files that kJams installs and creates so that I can simply trash them all and install kJams fresh?

Does kJams access a system level database that could've gotten corrupted and if so is there a way I can flush it?

I have no problem recreating my library, it's just that when I do, it doesn't seem to fix the problem.

dave
Site Admin

kjams install

Post by dave »

simply search your hard drive for "kJams".

I do not install any secret files or folders. Everything that is installed is labeled with the word "kJams" to facilitate easy removal.

Be warned: If you delete everything, you'll also delete your serial number (registration), you should back it up and restore it after you reinstall.

it is in:
~/Library/Preferences/kJams/kJams [Lite/Pro] Serial Number.xml

Also, you probably don't want to chuck your "kJams CDs" folder, else you will have to re-type everything when you rip your discs again.

What I suspect is causing problems is that you have changed meta info AFTER you ripped. The trick (for now, until that bug is fixed) is to completely update all meta info ON THE CD, before you rip, and don't ever change it after you rip. This is a known bug that causes songs to go missing and you get the "assert fail songP" when you try to play.

-dave

golly

Post by golly »

okay, that's probably what happened ... because I already trashed every relative file to kJams (except the SN file) and couldn't figure out why it still wouldn't play. didn't know that changing the meta was a no-no because of the bug.

so it's the music files that are corrupt, so to speak (even though it's really a bug in the application). i will simply take the existing music files and add them to the library a little at a time until I determine which CDs I need to re-rip.

thanks for the quick response
saludos

dave
Site Admin

corrupt

Post by dave »

> so it's the music files that are corrupt
well, really it's the fact that I didn't update the name on disk when i updated the name in the library (ie: when you changed the meta info AFTER ripping) When a song goes missing (and there's yet another bug that causes this every time you play), then it searches for the song, *by name* where it thinks it should be. If you've changed the name, it won't find it, cuz it's lookiing under the new name, not the old name, which is how it's stored on the disk. pleah!!!!

-dave

golly

Post by golly »

Totally frustrated here about what's going on. I need to get this system up and running for this KJ.

Okay, I am not changing any meta info after ripping. This problem is repeatable, and I know about troubleshooting but this is not making any sense to me. Here's what is happening:

I start with a totally clean library. Nothing in the kJams music ƒ. I load up disc 1. Everything plays back fine. I load up disc 2. Everything plays back fine from disc 1 and disc 2. I load up disc 3. Now, however, only the songs from disc 3 play back fine (and maybe a few from disc 2). If I try to play a song from disc 1 (and most of disc 2), then I get a system crash alert (report to Apple alert...).

Okay, appears then that either (a) the earlier loaded music got corrupted somehow or (b) something loaded from disc 3 is interfering with the other music.

As to (b), if I remove all the other tracks from the library and leave only one song from disc 1, it stills crash.

Okay, so are the tracks getting corrupted somehow? Well, the modification dates of the music tracks hasn't changed, so it doesn't appear that anything new is being written to the tracks when I load disc 3. But let's test it out anyway.

Trash all the music. Start loading again. Load disc 1. Plays okay. ***Now make a clean backup of disc 1's music in another folder inaccessible by kJams.*** Okay, now load disc 2. Fine. Now load disc 3. Now kJams starts crashing whenever I try to play anything from music loaded from disc 1 as expected. Okay, fine, then let's trash all the music in the library again, and copy over the clean backup of disc 1's music. Shouldn't crash, right? Guess what, now crashes when I try to play any of the clean music, too. What the heck is happening here???

I'm starting to think the only possible thing it might be is the kJams Cache. I'm going to start testing this out next. I mean, I see pcm files in there for most of the tracks. Is it possible that when I load a CD, that kJams makes this cache file for the song that it uses for playback. But that by the time I get to disc 3, it starts deleting some of the earlier cache files? That's fine, if I choose to play a ripped song from disc 1 that isn't in the cache anymore, it will just create a new one. But what if it can't create a new one that's clean. That once the original cache file is deleted, kJams crashes whenever it tries to recreate a cache file. This is what I'm going to troubleshoot next and report back.

It's the only thing I can figure that could be going on. As far as a solution? I'm thinking of making the cache folder size humongous, so that it never has to delete any initially created pcm files. I would rather use the extra space and get kJams to play stably ... because right now I can't get it to play at all after a few discs being loaded.

I've tried changing preferences (zip files, not zip files, clear cache, etc.). I haven't updated the OS since I don't have the user's system password with me right now. It's running 10.3.7, but it's the only other thing I've thought about that I haven't tried: would a Tiger upgrade fix the problem? But I don't see how that would be it.

I will post an update later today after I test out the cache files.

dave
Site Admin

bug reproduction steps

Post by dave »

well i have to give you the gold star for this, this is the first time i've seen really detailed reproduction steps to re-create this bug from scratch.

armed with this info, i will most certainly be able to fix the bug. now my next challenge is finding time. as I said, i'm gone for a month. i may have a minute here and there to work, and work i will.

but rest assured, when i get back in a month, if it's not fixed by then, it will be less than a week until it is fixed!!!

meanwhile, the forums probably are not the place to be getting into this level of detail.

-dave

golly

Post by golly »

Okay, I've figured out what the problem is. It's the cache folder. I will email you with details of what's happening.

dave
Site Admin

Re: help - crashing every time trying to play

Post by dave »

fixed

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

And so timely :)

dave
Site Admin