mysteriously dissappearing tracks

Feel free to post bug reports here. I need exact, detailed steps showing me how I can re-create the bug on my machine, so give as much info and detail as possible.
oss

mysteriously dissappearing tracks

Post by oss »

So I just bought kjams light, and began happily importing some CD's through the kjams interface..

Oddly now, on some of my songs I get the following error:

Assert Fail: fileP, in file: 'CSong.cpp' at line 2269

Basically saying that the file isn't there, and sure enough it isn't. The zip for the track is completely gone, but yet it's listing on my Library list.. So why does it get added to my library without the track? This has happened on a number of tracks, and no error swere reported during ripping.

FYI I'm using lame encoding..

dave
Site Admin

missing tracks

Post by dave »

Yes, yes, i am terribly sorry about that, this is a known issue, i'm having a hell of a time finding time to fix this. I'm very sorry, i'm quite embarrassed that this bug has been in there for so long and keeps biting people. I know in general what is wrong and I most certainly will fix it. It may take a month or more, due to bad timing of some prior commitments. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

-dave

karaokeblvd

Hang In There Dave!!!

Post by karaokeblvd »

I too have been bitten a few times when the alert appears- so what I do now is have a pitcher of very watered down bright colored shots ready to go for the audience everytime the alert appears on screen- I think they're rooting for the alert sometimes more than some of my regular singers!
It'll be great for us (kjs) when it's fixed but the folks at the shows will be sadly disappointed.
Saw your blog- you deserve a rest if you want one- you are doing a great service to all of us.
you should have a list of experience that your looking for in helpers-
alot of my 'kids' are geeks to boot! I'll get the word out if I know what you're looking for.
Truly-
Natasha

golly

Post by golly »

What must you avoid doing to keep this from happening during shows? Is this the same bug that happens when you change any of the meta data after ripping?

dave
Site Admin

crashies

Post by dave »

I think so yes, but i am not completely sure.

I don't have a QA team so I can never get enough data from a single user to pin down the issue, i only get sporatic reports of very small parts of the overall problem and I am left to piece it together.

It's like getting a jigsaw puzzle with 75% of the pieces missing, and being able to both put all the pieces in the right place and also guess the picture.

oss

Post by oss »

Dave,

Is the deletion happening during import or just in general operation of the program?

dave
Site Admin

any time

Post by dave »

i think it can happen while ripping and durning normal play.

a solution someone came up with is to crank your cache size to something enormous. You must have LOTS of free drive space to do this.

I'm working on this bug first, but until it's fixed, setting your cache size very very large avoids the problem.

karaokeblvd

i empty my cache...

Post by karaokeblvd »

in the beginning of every show, I empty my cache.

I also open itunes too before I play my first song- and I haven't had any alert boxes- or disappearing tracks since

I don't play the same song in one night, but if I did, I may have such a problem, but I don't.

dave
Site Admin

Re: mysteriously dissappearing tracks

Post by dave »

i believe this is fixed