Potentially Data Destruticve Bug in Duplicate preset playlis

Feel free to post bug reports here. I need exact, detailed steps showing me how I can re-create the bug on my machine, so give as much info and detail as possible.
oss

Potentially Data Destruticve Bug in Duplicate preset playlis

Post by oss »

So I was testing out using the preset playlist for finding duplicate items.

For example, according to kjams pro there are 2 copies of "After Midnight" both on the DK2030 disc.

So as your instructions on http://www.kjams.com/wiki/Preset_Playlists, I should select one of the duplicates, and select trash original files. So I do. Then I try to play the remaining, and guess what "File not Found". Both of the items are pointing to the same file, so if you delete one of them, you are deleting the only reference to it.

To confirm, after creating the duplicate playlist, I manually searched for the file:

find . -name "*After Midnight.mp3"
./Eric Claption/DK2030/08 After Midnight.mp3

As you can see, it only shows up once. Same goes for a number of the tracks that show up in the duplicate playlist.

I'm not sure how it got this way.. I have something in the order of 1500 duplicates.

The only way I think I'm going to be able to fix this is re-import everything.

Dave, maybe if there were a way to display the file path as one of the values ( you know, artist, song, full_file_name), something like that.. Then I could manually resolve if they are pointing to the same file at a quick glance.

I suppose I could just do "remove from library", and then do a "find orphaned files" to get the real duplicates? Seems kinda hacky.

dave
Site Admin

:)

Post by dave »

yes it should never have gotten that way in the first place, with two songs referring to the same file. the "find duplicates" preset playlist will not detect this situation and will cause a problem.

you can show the paths of songs by context clicking on the sort columns and showing "File: Audio" or "File: Zip"