Damaged my iTunes library with new update

Feel free to post bug reports here. I need exact, detailed steps showing me how I can re-create the bug on my machine, so give as much info and detail as possible.
BlueGreen

Post by BlueGreen »

I launched kjams last night and it informed me that there was a new update available. I clicked the link to update and everything downloaded ok. Kjams then launched and then immediately quit. I tried to launch it again and then it quit again. I tried one more time. My system seemed to freeze up. I had to shut down my computer using the power button and restart. When I tried to launch kjams it immediately quit again. I then launched iTunes it informed me that my library file was damaged. I lost all my playlists and had to re-import all my music (about 5,000 songs) plus video's and podcasts.
I emptied the trash so I no longer have the previous version to use.

BlueGreen

Post by BlueGreen »

Downloaded version r44 and everything seems to be running ok again. (Whew!)

dave
Site Admin

Please don't spread rumors

Post by dave »

kJams has nothing at all to do with the iTunes Database, and never has. I don't go anywhere near iTunes for anything. It is simply not possible that kJams in any way affected your iTunes database. kJams *used to* find songs in your iTunes music folder, but it never ever touched the database. If the iTunes database became corrupted, that was due to something else entirely, eg: doing a hard reboot while iTunes was actually writing the database file.

BlueGreen

Post by BlueGreen »

Ah, Yes it was probably due to the hard restart when the system froze. Did not mean to implicate kjams, just wanted to point out the fact that the last version of kjams immediately quit when launched. Glad it is now fixed.

dave
Site Admin

whew!

Post by dave »

VERY glad indeed to hear that it's working. that was one of those utterly madding "blind bug fixes", the kind that I am simply not able to reproduce. For three days in a row i got report after report of "kJams won't start", and for the life of me I could not get it to happen to me. You know the mantra "if I can't see the bug, i can't swat it". So i took several stabs in the dark and finally hit it, after three updates!!

VERY glad to hear it's been squished!!

-dave