kJams destroying Rotation screens

Feel free to post bug reports here. I need exact, detailed steps showing me how I can re-create the bug on my machine, so give as much info and detail as possible.
DeusExMachina

kJams destroying Rotation screens

Post by DeusExMachina »

So apparently kJams does not appreciate anyone using the name Rotation.xml other than itself. This resulted in destruction (rather than simply the renaming) of my custom rotation screen half a dozen times while trying to restore from a backup, after the original custom screen mysteriously disappeared (which I now realize was due to this same issue).
Luckily I still had a back up, after I watched the launch sequence in Console as it unceremoniously deleted my files just before fully launching.
To make matters worse, it is not accepting my custom rotation screen as an option when it populatse the Rotation screen popup in preferences, so I was forced to hack things to trick kJams into using it.

dave
Site Admin

Re: kJams destroying Rotation screens

Post by dave »

thanks for the feedback. let's work to fix this so it doesn't happen again. i'll try to reproduce the problem, here are my steps:

1) open for edit the default "Rotation.xml" showscreen
2) change it by doing <<what?>>
3) save
4) run kJams while watching the xml file
5) see it get replaced with the default one

does that sound about right? can you fill in step 2?

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Well, on my end, it's:
•Rename my backup of my custom rotation screen to "Rotation.xml" (in Finder).
•Launch kjams.
•Watch the file in Finder.
•Just as kJams finishes it's launch sequence, "Rotation.xml" disappears. It is not in the Trash. It is not being replaced with the canonical version, either.

Note: this occurred even when I set permissions to user:read only, and locked the file, so kJams must be doing this with admin privileges!
I was able to trick kJams into using the desired file by essentially pulling out the rug from underneath it, changing it in Finder while kJams was running, and then force quitting it. But the desired ShowScreen still doesn't show up in the pop up in prefs.
Note 2: It would've worked out okay if I still used my old Lava Lounge rotation screen, since that is still in the canonical bistro, or if I even work there anymore, but I updated that years ago, stopped working three, and they went out of business!

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

send me your custom showscreen

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Apparently you can not attach XMLs here.
So e-mail it is.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

First: you can't use a reserved name, and that includes any that start with a tilde, with the tilde removed. eg: if the showscreen "~Rotation.xml" exists, then you can NOT create a showscreen with the name "Rotation.xml" because it would conflict with the one with the tilde.

Second: to qualify for the "Rotation" showscreen popup menu, a showscreen must have at least one "[+sgr]" tag in one of it's text elements. this element may be hidden (off the screen) if necessary.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Well, the first part is exactly what I expected, that using some sort of reserved name triggered kJams to remove the offending file.
As to the [+sgr] it was in the original that got deleted. I didn't test enough to see that the copy I was repairing the situation with did not have those tags.
So I'm going to have to go in there and recreate that SS as best I can.
Regardless, it would perhaps be better if the file was not removed unceremoniously, but rather renamed.
Anyway, it's hard to tell which version I am dealing with because for some reason kJams is no showing the relevant assets in the Preview window, which is remaining blank (black).
Screen Region 2017-01-17 at 20.11.43.png
As you can see, the actual assets and data entries are still there:
Screen Region 2017-01-17 at 20.14.57.png
This is an old bug that I thought was fixed.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Interestingly, the "no drag and drop" bug is back. Perhaps they are related? I'm going to reboot and test.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

the "no drag and drop" thing is totally an OS issue.

can you send me the PNG assets for your showscreen?

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

I'm talking about the no drag and drop being related to the assets not showing up in the video window.
Give me a sec to reboot and sort that part out.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Yup, rebooting allowed the assets to show back up. Weird.
But wait. Weird. Certain text assets are not showing up. And the Inspector Window doesn't show the currently selected asset.
It shows the same text asset no matter other text asset you click on, until you click on a pic asset, and then on another text asset, at which point it updates, and then doesn't again, until you click on a pic asset again.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

And, now it's back to normal. Gonna have to hammer at it some more to figure out what's going on.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Okay, so… everything is fixed. I think at some point the data assigned to the tags ([sngr], etc.) got hardcoded to their values, replacing entires like [name][+sgr] with Blank???? and [SNGR] with ????.
Not sure how this happened, perhaps during one of the upgrades that complained about the changing of the rotation screens, but I haven't touched either the Rotation screens themselves, or even Producer, in months, so it was nothing I did on my end.
A/k/a no steps at this point.
That said, not having the tags appear on the Video Window, but just having them replaced with "????" even while their actual values are in the Inspector Window, is confusing and makes editing the ShowScreens difficult, since you can't tell which entires are what without clicking on them and checking the Inspector Window.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

i agree the editing of ShowScreens is a little wonky. i think it's working by design however, even if the design has flaws :/